RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

tire choice

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire choice

So my PS2's are just about done and I am on the fence about the PS2 cup tires or a set of Bridgestones.

Thoughts on both tires and what is the very best (R compound) Bridgestone tire to get.

I do about 4-5 track days a year.

Thanks for the responses.

Matt
Old 08-05-2009, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

To clarify are you talking dedicated track tyres, or tyres you'll use day to day as well?
Old 08-05-2009, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

no...they will be daily drivers.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

re11's - 180 wear rating. I'm having Nitto NT01s mounted on my track set of wheels tomorrow but ran a car control clinic and a weekend @ BIR on my RE11's. The RE11's impressed my instructor so much he was going to purchase a set to run in the street tire class for autocross.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Almost went for RE11s recently, but got too many bad reports on heavy weight; stiff sidewalls; extra charge/wheel damage for fitting due to stiff side walls. Nothing but praise for grip though.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by GotRS?
Almost went for RE11s recently, but got too many bad reports on heavy weight; stiff sidewalls; extra charge/wheel damage for fitting due to stiff side walls. Nothing but praise for grip though.
Wrong, wrong and more wrong.

Step 1: Stop talking to idiots and/or your local dealers.
Step 2: Talk to people who actually KNOW something about performance tires, not just a few random goombas who THINK that because they own an RS4, they know the specifics of the various tires.

I have had the following tires on my RS4:
Falken Fk452: Great wet, ok dry, long life at 15K miles, terrible track tires. Put these on the track and you'll regret it. No grip once super hot. Quiet and comfortable ride, though.

PS2s: Good dry, ok on the track, decent life at 11K miles, quiet ride till the last 40% of treadwear, then a touch noisy...just a bit. Will give you probably two track days before they're done.

Pirelli PZero: Same as PS2's, not quite as good on track, about the same tread life, overpriced. Same track performance, two track days and they're done.

Current: Re011R's. Best tire I've had on the car. Quiet, good ride, superb dry, good wet, only one track day. 2000 miles on them so far, zero appreciable wear.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just purchased RE-11 tires from TireRack for track days. One event so far and they worked very well. Had them shaved to 6/32 at purchase.

What about RE-11R? My tires weren't listed with the R suffix, and I don't see that option on the Firestone site. Is that a different compound?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'll side with you on the weight. These suckers are heavy and you'll feel the difference on the road. Undulations and potholes in the road really make these tires feel heavy on their feet. On the flip side, they do grip nice and look great.

for what it's worth, I'm switching back to PS2's when these wear out.

BTW, the RE11's were put on my MKV GTI and not the RS4.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by craiglieberman
Step 1: Stop talking to idiots and/or your local dealers.
Step 2: Talk to people who actually KNOW something about performance tires, not just a few random goombas who THINK that because they own an RS4, they know the specifics of the various tires.
Very well said, Craig. Excellent post... ;-)
Old 08-06-2009, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by bruised rs4
I'll side with you on the weight. These suckers are heavy and you'll feel the difference on the road. Undulations and potholes in the road really make these tires feel heavy on their feet. On the flip side, they do grip nice and look great.
According to Tire Rack:

Bridgestone: 28 lbs.
Michelin PS2: 24 lbs.
Pirelly PZero Rosso: 24 lbs.

Do you really think you can feel 4 lbs. per corner?

Quick Reply: tire choice