RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Tire pressures too high?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressures too high?

I'm running the stock tire pressure (I believe it's 41PSI all around) and I've noticed they're wearing mainly in the centers... in other words unevenly.

Is this a characteristic of how these tires are supposed to wear, or has anyone lowered their pressures without messing with TPMS?

My car has the factory Pirelli's (PZero).
Old 04-17-2007, 02:02 PM

Default good thing u asked..

was about to ask the same question...

just got my wheels powdercoated and the company sent the set back with around 23PSI in each

the door jam indicates 41PSI so thats what i put in

but i have to seriously doubt that the tires were filled that much when i first bought the car...because the first 9k miles that i drove around before refinishing my wheels were nowhere NEAR as harsh as the ride with 41PSI that i have been doing for teh past 2 days

i have to believe that somewhere around 35-36 is better

i would run 33 on my other car with 19" tires

so what is everyone running for their daily PSI?
Old 04-17-2007, 02:29 PM

Default It is characteristic of over inflating...

whether there's something else going on, couldn't say.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Re: good thing u asked..

I have always run at recommended psi, and keeping any differences F & R intact. There's a reason the car mfgrs do this, car to car. They have determined optimal performance(combination of handling, comfort, tire wear) to be at a certain psi per car. F & R differentials, same thing, for proper balance of the car.

I may go a couple pounds higher for good measure but that's about it. You don't want to skew the ride of the car and also increase the likelihood of tire/wheel damage by being way over inflated.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

2nd!
Old 04-17-2007, 04:31 PM

Default bit confused..

you mention at the end that you sometimes run a few PSI higher...but then you said

"You don't want to skew the ride of the car and also increase the likelihood of tire/wheel damage by being way over inflated."

you would suffer wheel damage if you were UNDERinflated, not over

but what i was saying was that, at 41PSI, the ride felt stiffer than it had normally been when i drove the car for the first 9k miles off the showroom floor (but i never initially checked the tire pressures, but im venturing they were lower than 41
Old 04-17-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Okay...

I may set cold at 1-2 lbs higher just so that I'm not always constantly borderline, or having to check all the time. That's all.

Only will suffer wheel damage underinflated if almost flat. Much more common on a significantly over inflated tire.

Id you hadn't ever checked tire psi in 9k miles, well, I'm not surprised the ride felt 'soft'.

None of this is castin stone. People often ignore the recommended pressures and run them at what they're comfortable with. But, in doing that, you do run the risk of some of the issues already mentioned.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'll compare the front and rear wear. If they're the same, to 37 all around it goes.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have been running 41psi since I first checked it in October after my first few weeks of.......

ownership. I posted that the car seemed very unstable at high speeds. Some of the regulars suggested that I check the psi and I found a different one in each tire. I have found that these tires seem to loose psi very fast. I have tried everything from 38 to 43 and the PZ's seem to perform best on the street and AutoX at 41 all around. The ride is a little harsher but I am very careful about any kind of bumps in the road and I feel the car performs better with a higher pressure.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

so.. how is your tire wear then? centered or balanced?

Quick Reply: Tire pressures too high?