RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Took the plunge...chipped my RS4

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took the plunge...chipped my RS4

So I did some research on chips and found Unitronic. Their distributor is called Abbott Automotive.

They have a tiny office but they do field installations of the software.

After doing some research on the Canadian-based chip manufacturer, I took the plunge. For $750, I was skeptical about any software that you load through the diagnostic port. Apparently, all Unitronic does is tune cars all day.

What sold me is their guarantee...if you don't like it, they reflash you back to stock for free.

Abbott itself is a start up company...they're the exclusive distributors for Unitronic in the US and these guys are young engineering students.

They were very cool and easy to work with.

If you need more details on this, contact Brandon over there at 818 917 3366 or Brandon@thinkabbott.com.

My car always had this surge or flatspot in the 2200 -3000 rpm range when lightly loaded at throttle tip in.

After installing the software, I drove the car home about 80 miles in traffic. The surge was immediately gone...it just simply wasn't there any more.

This morning, I went on another drive, about 75 miles and my butt dyno tells me that the throttle responds quicker. Either the car is making the hp they claim (they do have an in house dyno at Unitronic) or they've somehow manipulated how the car responds to driver's throttle input.

Either way, I'm very pleased with the software so far.<ul><li><a href="http://www.unitronic.ca/uni/content/view/50/33/">http://www.unitronic.ca/uni/content/view/50/33/</a</li></ul>
Old 03-04-2008, 11:56 AM

Default Hey, JetJockey, these chip guys are in your back yard (Laval). Have you heard of them?

For $750, it is one of the cheapest performance mods. It may be worth a try, but I hate to be the first on the block with engine electronics. I could tell you horror stories about the electronic issues I had after highly modifying a MINI Cooper S.

Craig, please keep us tuned in as you continue to play with this mod.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Agreed...the "no questions asked" return policy sold me

I couldn't have been more skeptical. So far, so good.

DYING to get my car on a dyno now.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default He and I have both heard of them and discussed them. I'd be glad to share experiences...

but prefer to do it offline. email: a4at151mph@yahoo.com
Old 03-04-2008, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default probably manipulated throttle sensitivity...

ie, the sprint booster or other chip companies like Revo who even offer adjustability in throttle sensitivity. Any chance on before and after dyno?
Old 03-04-2008, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Flash back to stock, or their version of stock?

REVO, for example (my TT is REVOed, FWIW), offers a trial flash on some cars that reverts back to "stock" programming upon completion, but it's actually REVO's version of the stock programming. Same goes for the stock mode program as well. That is, people will be able to tell that it had been chipped if they look. Any idea if Unitronic's practice is similar?
Old 03-04-2008, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Or like this maybe? Free

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/1089127.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/1089127.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 03-04-2008, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Do a search on other AW forums and you may get an answer to your question...

Otherwise like bhvrdr said e mail him or me.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I doubt you will ever get back your original OEM program back.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default i just spoke with someone at unitronic and they claim they copy the file off of the car prior to

any sort of flashing, let me no how your experience goes craig cus mine has not been the greatest considering i was one of the if not the only person stateside with a flash

Quick Reply: Took the plunge...chipped my RS4