RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Tracked (stock) car yesterday for first track day ever. Brought about several realizations:

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracked (stock) car yesterday for first track day ever. Brought about several realizations:

1) My driving skills (which I thought were okay) are absolute garbage compared to the instructors. I am nothing. I am not even a speck under the foot of one of these guys. I have a LOT to learn.

2) This car is capable of WAY more than I am able to dish out. Just vicious. I now have even more respect for professional drivers (and by professional, I don't mean anyone that posts on e90/m3post.com, as they would like to think). I might as well have been driving an automatic since I stayed in third gear the entire time (seriously). There's just so much torque available even down low that you never really appreciate until you go to the track. I just couldn't go full throttle (exc for straight) when he told me to.. maybe 75%. And I would always lift on the straight-away before I had to brake (something about hurtling into a turn at 110mph in my daily driver is a little much for a first timer like myself)

3) I honestly thought we were going to die when the instructor drove the car at "75%". He looked so relaxed like he might as well be sipping tea and eating biscuits. He honestly wasn't thrashing the car rather teaching me the lines and techniques, ie- not full out, and I thought I was going to wet myself.

4) I have a LOT to learn.. (did I say that already? heh)

Wow.. just so much stuff to say. So much going on when you are out there.

** Here's to first track days and the humbling experience that they are !!
Old 05-23-2008, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

LMAO! Glad you learned something and hopefully had fun in the process.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:44 AM
zx9
AudiWorld Member

Good stuff! Instructor lead tracking is on my list of things to do. Where was the event at?
Old 05-23-2008, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i remember my first track day years ago. I was terrified. Now I am terrified when I get in the car

with Beginners
Old 05-23-2008, 06:35 AM
doo

sounds like you had fun and learned a bunch......definitely on my to-do list
Old 05-23-2008, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Don't stop now... your on to a good thing!
Old 05-23-2008, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it's probably best for a 1st timer to start with auto-x, or on a very small track.

preferably one where there is little or no risk of damage to the car (or yourself). it eliminates the fear factor, and let's you concentrate on driving and you'll become more comfortable with the car.

if you're driving on a course where the top speed is well into triple digits, that's probably not wise to do as a first-timer...IMHO.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

hhmmm never thought of that - good point....
Old 05-23-2008, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Try grenading the brakes at 160 on a sportbike. Pfft I do 110 with my hand up getting off the track.

Seriously, I'm sure I have gobs to learn in regard to driving a car. I'm sure I'll get my RS4 on the track some day but I just can't see that it would be as much fun as a motorcycle track day.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:32 AM

I'm not sure what grenading brakes means but somehow that doesn't sound safe

Quick Reply: Tracked (stock) car yesterday for first track day ever. Brought about several realizations: