RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

update on clearing my headlights....

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update on clearing my headlights....

well, i have an appointment set up next thursday to have it done..he is doing everything (even removing and replacing the headlights from the car)

but consequently i was at the audi dealer yesterday fixing my steering issue (noise, just needed more fluid) and the technician ran me through all the bolts needed to remove the bumper and the headlights....he said it was very similar to the b7 s4...he told me all the tools needed and i wrote down all the bolt locations

since i wont be there when he removes it i wont have pictures or anything but i can do a little write up if people request

one question though....since the headlight will be off i was thinking of changing the blinker bulb (in addition to removing the amber cap)...does anyone know teh exact size of teh bulb and can recommend any good replacements?

will post pics when its all done
Old 09-08-2006, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Phillips Silver Visions are great, not sure of the fitment though
Old 09-08-2006, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My advice...

You will need to get silver coated bulbs that signal amber when on since you are removing the amber coating from your housing. Plain amber bulbs will look like crap. The Hoen cromium bulbs may be a good choice or they may still be too yellow. You may just have to try the Hoen's to see. EddieMan on the S4 forum is a great resource for advice.

In the US, the turn signal lights are on solid with the headlights and flash when you signal. You can code the turn signal lights to be off with the lights but still flash when you signal. I have a picture of this in my citylight/DRL write-up in my sig. You will definitely want to code your signal lights to be off because it looks better and the silver coated bulbs tend to burn hotter than stock. You do not want to risk melting your housing by having the signal lights on all the time.<ul><li><a href="http://www.hoen-usa.com/cr.htm">http://www.hoen-usa.com/cr.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 09-08-2006, 02:03 PM

Default Re: My advice...

hey..thanks for the advice...im a bit confused..are you recommending the hoen or not...someone also turned my attention to these bulbs found at stealthauto.com

correct me if im wrong..but it seems that the turning signal bulb itself is just a white bulb..

i read about the possibility of recoding the headlights but im having a hard time finding someone in my area that has a VAG tool and is willing to help

i also cant imagine that the silver coated bulbs burn so hot that that it will melt the housing...if so, there should definately be a warning on the package

ill ask the guy thats doing it for me what he recommends...im sure hes seen a lot of bulbs and can give me some pointers
Old 09-08-2006, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

<i>im a bit confused..are you recommending the hoen or not</i>
I was just suggesting the Hoens as one possibility because I know Hoen makes good bulbs. I have not seen the chromium bulbs in person but from the photos, I worry they might be a little too yellow. You would have to order a set and look at them installed to see if you liked them. The other suggestions might work better. EddieMan on the S4 forum would be a good person to ask for suggestions.

<i>correct me if im wrong..but it seems that the turning signal bulb itself is just a white bulb..</i>
You are correct, the bulb is white. You are removing the amber reflector and, unless you want white turn signals, you need amber bulbs. Consider that you need the turn signal bulbs to be bright enough to be seen in the daylight. Many of the silver coated amber bulbs are very dim. White turn signals are illegal, too bright at night, annoying to other drivers and a red flag to cops.

<i>i read about the possibility of recoding the headlights but im having a hard time finding someone in my area that has a VAG tool and is willing to help</i>
Have you tried the <a href="http://www.steve-hall.com/cgi-bin/VAG-Locator.pl">VAG-Locator</a>? You definitely want the turn signal/corner lights to be coded off at night. Look at my DRL/city lights write-up linked in my sig for some photos. The coding for turning off the turn signal/corner lights is in my sig too.

<i>i also cant imagine that the silver coated bulbs burn so hot that that it will melt the housing...if so, there should definitely be a warning on the package</i>
I can promise you that some bulbs get hot enough to melt the housings. If you do not believe me, read this <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4b7/msgs/43122.phtml">thread</a>. The silver coated bulbs tend to get hotter than white ones.

I look forward to your pictures. This mod is going to look great!
Old 09-09-2006, 08:52 AM

yup, tried the vag locator...some people replied but then just stopped answering..ill work on it again once i get this done

worse comes to worse i can just change it to a lower output white bulb...this avoids needing the VAG change and also gives me extra light, not terrible

what kind of wattage are the stock blinker bulbs

ps. this would all never be a problem if audi didnt require the headlights to be removed just to change the freakin bulb

thanks for everyones help
Old 09-09-2006, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default More info...

The problem with using white bulbs is that you will have white turn signals.

There is no need to remove the headlamp assembly to change the turn signal bulb - you can remove the wheel and the front part of the fender liner - I'll email you a photo.

I do not know the specs on the stock bulb off the top of my head. Do a search and you should be able to figure it out.