S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

AWD is better in "non-propulsive" situations too

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD is better in "non-propulsive" situations too

Hey mm,

Saw that sub-thread a while back w/ that guy trying to make the AMG vs. S4 decision. Your point about awd only mattering in acceleration situations is correct - but there is a critical acceleration situation you neglected to metion that is worth noting: engine braking.

AWD cars are less likely to oversteer or understeer, and will do so less drastically, when lifting the throttle while cornering, than 2wd cars.

So, you could argue that unless you're going to put it in neutral whenever you corner, AWD cars are actually better in all high performance cornering situations.

And of course it's primarly more of a safety for the medium-experienced driver; a track-seasoned driver knows how to handle his throttle to avoid this problem even if he is in 2wd car.

But again the fact that an awd driver can engine brake into a turn with less drama than a 2wd driver, does give him an extra little tool on the track that the other guys don't have.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you explain why this is so? In all my years on this board I've never seen this claim.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:55 PM

Default My WRX was much more prone to trailing throttle oversteer than my M3.

My S4 isn't as prone to it as the Subaru but more so than my M3. My C4 Corvette was particularly prone to it. My personal experience has been that vehicle dynamics and not drive system is the most important criteria.

Alan
Old 11-12-2003, 01:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I believe AWD tends to understeer MORE into corners.

AWD big advantage on the track is exiting corners. Understeer vs oversteer vs nuetral going into corners has more to do with suspension / tires IMO.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default AWD cars are not better in all high performance cornering situations...

If we're talking about regular street cars then they're not. AWD will push on a dry track no matter what. AWD is peferable for any other condtion but the dry.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default True, I was pretty vauge..

A lot of counter and throttle would be necessary if one's is fighting for lap times - especially out of the apex.

In the real world, most would select the AWD option including myself because of the advantages, it's almost a no brainer. If it's a race car that we're talking about, not a daily driver, then the AWD choice would not be the way to go.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I can be a real "hard-head" at times but..

..I don't think I understand how I'm generalizing here. It takes more initial inertia to get moving in a AWD car. I believe that you yourself understand that but perhaps more details for the sake of others? I dunno.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh, ok. Well it's certainly not a fact..

..although, the majority of the serious race cars that make serious power out there (on the track) are in fact RWD, not to say that they're always the winner at the end of the day (although one obvious winning example would be Audi's success in the LeMans series with the R8) but it has always been the more logical approach for decades.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default the biggest problem is those who claim they feel AWD has "understeer"

when in reality, they generally mean "can't induce oversteer as easily to fix a bad slip angle and/or bad entry attitude"
Old 11-12-2003, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default RWD is preferred in racing NOT due to AWD inherently understeering

99% of it is 1) classification rules 2) weight 3) complexity.

Quick Reply: AWD is better in "non-propulsive" situations too