S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Headlights flickering and going out

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights flickering and going out

My right headlight has been flickering for about 3 months, and a few times it has gone out completely. Turning the headlights off and back on fixes it for a couple days. I waited to take it to the dealer until it needed maintenance, and also so there would be more DTC evidence for them to troubleshoot with. The left headlight started doing the same thing so I took it in.

The dealer is saying they found a TSB on it (2013829/3) and it says to replace the bulbs. They're also saying the bulbs are only covered under warranty for the first 6 months/10,000 miles! I don't have my warranty manual with me but that doesn't sound right. The dealer wants $750 to replace both bulbs ($240x2 parts, $270 labor). I told them not to fix it, I'll write a letter to AoA.

Does anyone have access to that TSB, or have any suggestions?

In some similar threads it looks like others have had the bulbs replaced under warranty:

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4b7/msgs/98834.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a4b7/msgs/98834.phtml</a>

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4b7/msgs/63994.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/s4b7/msgs/63994.phtml</a>
Old 04-03-2008, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There is a TSB, take it in and tell them the light is flickering

and you've checked all the connections. I had mine replaced not under warranty, but due to the TSB.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default That's what I'm trying to do, but...

What TSB are you talking about? What part did you have replaced?

Just because there's a TSB describing the problem doesn't mean the TSB says to replace it for free. Oviously if the part is covered under warranty it's free, but the TSB they found says replace the bulb, and they're saying the bulb is out of warranty. Everything else in the headlights (ballasts, etc.) is still covered, but not the bulbs.

If they're wrong about the 6mo/10K for bulbs then I can get it for free. Or if new bulbs don't fix it and there's another TSB saying replace something else like ballasts then that would be free.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was out of warranty on the bulb, and they replaced it, citing the TSB.

I beleive it was a TSB covering all A4's/S4's after model year 05 for flickering headlights. Diablo audi in Concord replaced my bulb for free.

They said if there was not a TSB, then I would have had to pay for the bulb.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have had this problem and there are 2 TSBs out I believe...

I have had this exact same problem when starting up the car for the last few months... it lasts only 30-40 seconds maybe, but I've had it looked at.

1. there was a tsb that corrected software that controlled the levelers.. they thought that might be it... still had the problem after that.

2. they thought later it may be a bulb that's on it's way out.. but since it's happening sometimes and only happening on start up for 30 seconds and then being fine and just as bright, they think not.

3. i'm bringing it back in next week and they believe it may be the ballast.. and it wouldn't be the first they've had to replace either on the B7's... so perhaps this will be the fix.

All in all.. the bulbs aren't expensive anyway... in the great scheme of things... the ballasts and the mechanism for those lights certainly is... I'd rather not pay for anything, but if it's just a bulb, so what..
Old 04-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Let me know what happens on your next trip.

Doesn't seem like "if it's just a bulb, so what" to me, there's definitely more expensive parts in these cars but $750 is a lot when the car is still under warranty (especially if they're wrong).
Old 04-03-2008, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Will do... but what the HECK are you talking about $750???

I certainly work hard for everything I own and $750 isn't a lot when it comes to a lot of things..that are worth it... but if you're trying to tell me just a friggen bulb somehow costs $750, then I'm right there with you. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to think that I think that's just a drop in the bucket for something that shouldn't cost $50 on a good day.

...the only way a bulb should ever cost $750 is... oh, well.. never! gosh..
Old 04-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Read my original post, the dealer wants $750 ($240 x 2 bulbs, $270 labor).
Old 04-03-2008, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sorry, I have to admit I didn't read your first post... WOW.. ummm

Well.. $240... ok, let's figure $40 for the bulb, $200 for the labor... The bumper does have to come off... it is a lot of work... I guess.. but wow.

Do you think that at least "explains" it? I mean, even if the bulb isn't covered under the warranty... but the labor to replace it while the car is under warranty SHOULD be covered... I would think.. but then again, I don't know.. I'm assuming and we all know you shouldn't..
Old 04-03-2008, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Then tell them again...and again...and again...and again...

Good luck. You will probably get, "we couldn't recreate the problem" so they do nothing.

Eventually your lights will fail when you need them etc blah blah blah.

Good luck.

Eric.

Quick Reply: Headlights flickering and going out