S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

My impressions on Miltek's catback exhaust options

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My impressions on Miltek's catback exhaust options

Hey guys. I've been fortunate enough to have driven a nonresonated miltek catback and riden along in a resonated version as well.

I have heard both from the outside too.

My overall impressions are that the resonated is a bit too quiet and the non-resonated is a bit too loud. I love the refined sound of the resonated, but it's just too quiet (although Miwa's only had 600 miles on it, 1600 on the car total, so it will get louder).

The nonresonated will sound quiet and comfortable at all times with the windows closed, so if you want roar ALL the time, leave the windows down and you don't have to be worried. However, I find it just a bit too noisy/unrefined at very low speeds, with the windows down...(the majority of my driving). I know that the non-res will not drone at freeway speeds, but since I drive at an average of 18mph per tank, I wouldn't want that much sound all the time.

I think the problem is that the exhaust sounds AMAZING outside when you hear it drive by..but it just doesn't sound that great inside. So if you have a loud version (non res), you won't be loving it as much as you would love the sound of an american v8 (ie mustang stock or non). This is just my opinion...

Finally, I think if I had to choose right now, I'd go with resonated. It's a bit quiet, but with a fully broken in car and exhaust (and my driving habits), it will begin to roar. I am 90% sure that I will get downpipes, so I'd say that I'd be extremely content with the sound level of the resonated w/ downpipes combo.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:58 PM
Elder Member

Default ALSO, if you get the res HOT it sounds MEAN.

That's right...keep the rpms up high, drive around for about 10 minutes or so at high rpms having some fun.

then slow down, cruise in 3rd at 1200 rpm, go down the block and ping the gas....WOW. It's amazing how loud even the res gets once it's super-hot.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Expert

What you told me about this sounds perfect for "my driving habits." :-D
Old 05-10-2004, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

tastes like burning
Old 05-10-2004, 01:02 PM
Elder Member

Default You are going to LOVE it. I do. It's the best exhaust I've EVER heard.

And you can tailor the sound, depending on how hot you run your engine.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default That's great. Can't wait to get the "courtesy letter" from the contra costa courthouse to take care

of my damn 110+ ticket first. If proven not guilty (;-D), I'll be able to easily justify the exhaust. I went to court on my date to request a trial by declaration, but I wasn't even in the system yet.

They said I have to wait for the courtesy letter before I could do anything.

Hey, just like people suggested...the longer the delay the better. Just wish I could get it over with though.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:13 PM

Default Re: My impressions on Miltek's catback exhaust options

IMHO I find the non-res milltek to be a perfect sound windows open or not. It has the right amount of aggressiveness (sounds),quite while at all crusing speeds but an classy growl under decent acceleration.We are in our late 50's & find we can carry on coversations window open or not.We are not going with DP's(even though I want them)because my dealer said in no uncertaint terms that they would void my warrenty.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Never heard a non-res Miltek, but I did hear the resonated one over the weekend...

and agree that it did sound quieter than I thought it would. But if I ever did a cat-back exhaust upgrade, Miltek would be the brand to get and I would have it resonated, too. I'd rather it be slightly quieter than slightly too noisy since I plan on keeping my car for years. Plus, I'd have to clear the upgrade w/ the wifey (which isn't easy since I spent over $6K parts/labor already in the past year). Ha!
Old 05-10-2004, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Agreed.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:27 PM

Default Downpipe Noise

The Milltek down pipes will add a significant amount of rumble over the cats. I have the the resonated cats and downpipes installed. My wife hates the around town rumble inside the car (all windows up) with a lot of on and off the throttle driving. I, on the other hand, love it, but it does get a bit noisy when others are in the car.

On the highway at 2,500 to 4,000 rpm it's really a nice, low presence and even my wife likes the sound. I do a lot of 70 to 100 mph driving and above 80 you'll hardly notice the exhaust.

Quick Reply: My impressions on Miltek's catback exhaust options