S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

my initial impressions of the B6 S4, in case anyone cares

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 04:28 PM
TZL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my initial impressions of the B6 S4, in case anyone cares

Well here are my initial impression of the B6 S4. I think that I might offer a different view point from many hear because I'm not coming from a slower audi like a normal B6 A4, I actually have a bunch of high HP hardware, 03 z06, 99 viper ACR, 500rwhp MKIV supra, in addition to a bunch of audis I have in the garage: 2002 A4 Avant 1.8T, 2001 S4 Sedan, 2001 A6 2.8.

S4 seats: awesome compare to std B6 A4, shame the passenger side leg bolster doesn't pull out like the driver's side, however they don't grip as well as E46 M3 "Vader" seats.

S4 Looks: Ok, however the brakes need better finishing. the front brake calipers look really crude compared to Porsche or Corvette calipers. The front bumper, while more agressive, really doesn't set the car apart from normal B6 A4's enough. the older B5 s4's bumpers were more distinctive.

Tranny: Light, much better than the B5 S4, ever better than a B5 S4 with UUC short shifter. Throw is too light for my tastes, but probably because the Viper and Z06 have beasty shifters in comparison.

Clutch: WAAAYYY too light. It difficult to tell where engagement is. Again probalby because my Viper and Z06 have comparitively stiff clutches. I really think Audi added a weak *** clutch to keep the car from eating diffs and trannys. The good thing is that i was able to bang off clutchless upshifts with no problems (not recommend for car durability.)

Engine: Awesome, however it doesn't feel like it has twice the power of my 1.8T..... this is a quick car....not a fast car. The engine is nice and revvy, but it doesn't have the same throw you back in the seat feeling as the V8 in the M5 or Z06. (Of course those V8's have 1-2 liters more displacement)

Exhaust: Awesome, its funny that is sounds much better in the rear of the car. Too bad for the driver and passenger. but its a great improvement from the exhaust note of my A4 1.8t. Doesn't compare to Z06 exhaust notes, but IMHO, much better than a E46 M3's raspy metallic shrill.

Steering: I am really disappointed by the S4 steering feel, its way to light, I really like the relatively heavy steering of my A4 (heavier still since I run 19" wheels) The S4 has a different steering rack, and is WAY too light and floaty in my opinion.

Wheels and Tires: The stock Contis on the S4 i drove lack grip, this is compared to the AVS sports I have on my A4 Avant in 19". Taking both cars around the same corner, at the same speed, the S4 was squeeling up a storm, while my A4 was perfect composed and quiet.

Ride: Funny thing is that the S4 feels softer, or at least more compliant than my A4, at least compared to my A4 on 19's. But I don't remember my A4 being that much softer when I was on factory 17's. I would say the suspension tuning on the S4 is pretty good, its agressive, with a tad more body roll than you would want, but its still firm and compliant.

Well thats at least my take on the B6 S4
Old 08-31-2003, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Maybe you don't care. But im sure the future owner of the car

would appreciate it if you not go pounding through his tranny like that.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:57 PM

Default Good review...

I agree with most of your opinions except for the seat comment. I still own a E36M3 and unless you're a skinny butt, the vader seats are too narrow. The Recaros in the S4 are the best sport seats my wide butt has ever sat in.

The clutch is very light on the down-stroke, but I think I can 'feel' the engagement point better than my E36. But then again the clutch in the M3 has 91k miles on it, so YMMV.

I run the AVS sports on my M3 as well. The Conti's are going as soon as they get worn down some. They are very loud on grooved pavement and over expansion joints.

Enjoy your S4 when you get it!
Old 08-31-2003, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Expert

great review. thanks
Old 08-31-2003, 05:22 PM

Default I think the steering feel could be fixed possibly

just do what the A6 guys are doing, and pull the servotronic relay, does the B6 have that?
Old 08-31-2003, 05:45 PM

Default Don't fix it until you have tried it. Now that I am used to it I'm not sure it needs fixing.

The way they have set it up it's much easier to handle in a parking lot and actually presents more resistance at speed in a turn than the B5. I actually like the end result at this point and can't wait to try it out on the track.
Old 08-31-2003, 05:56 PM

Default I don't understand...

Are you really comparing an S4 to a Viper or Vette? What kind of car are you looking for? Your review was incisive, comprehensive although totally mis-directed. Do I even have to say it? The S4 was never met to compete or be compared to a Viper, Vette, or an M5. A heavy clutch, shiffer, and stiff ride can all be attributed and expected in these other cars, but in a mid-level sport luxury sedan??? I don't think so. The two door M3 is even a bit of a stretch (it's a freakin two door car) but it's really the only car that I can understand comparing and contrasting with the S4. Your review is apples to oranges.
Old 08-31-2003, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Um, mind telling us which dealer?
Old 08-31-2003, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So you did some clutchless shifts in someone elses soon to be car?...thanks.
Old 08-31-2003, 06:52 PM
TZL

It was a press car owned by Audi of America, the Dealer recommended the clutchless shifting....

Quick Reply: my initial impressions of the B6 S4, in case anyone cares