S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Need Help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help?

My S4 is been making a weird sound on the front left had side, and is sound like something is grinding. U can hear it when its going in reverse, when I go forward I dont hear it. Now there has been times when I do go forward and I can hear it. I have down pipes installed and I was also wondering if that could be it. Any thoughts?
Old 11-06-2005, 11:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wheel bearing? low/no brake pad?
Old 11-07-2005, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default is it when you go slow in 1st or reverse? almost like something is either

rattling or grinding or a combination of the two and does it go away if you clutch it? If so I have the same thing going on right now and I think I blew a cat (I also have downpipes and a catback).
Old 11-07-2005, 09:44 AM

Default A few thoughts...

If it's a left front wheel bearing the sound will get worse when you turn right (puts more weight on the left front wheel) and the sound will go away when you turn left.

Can you see how much brake pad is left?

Also, How long ago was the full exhaust installed? Check the exhaust hangers in the center of the car and make sure the hangers are not rubbing against the drive shaft - this makes a bad grinding sound.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:11 PM

Default Re: is it when you go slow in 1st or reverse? almost like something is either

reverse most of the time sometime in first gear but not really. and when I clutch it, sound still there. How can u blow a cat? Where did u get your cats from
Old 11-08-2005, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have no idea how you blow a cat!?!? I have Labree down pipes and cat back

I'm assuming that if it is a cat (I still haven't had a chance to get the exhaust off) it's just a faulty piece... I have to give Labree a call and see what they say. I've heard great things about them standing behind their product so I hope it will be taken care of quickly if that's what it is.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Re: I have no idea how you blow a cat!?!? I have Labree down pipes and cat back

how do u know if u have a blown cat. how can u tell. I have awe and gave them a call, they said a grinding noise should not come from a cat.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I also have stuff rattling around inside my muffler...

and Labree said that they don't have any baffles so whatever's in there had to come from farther up the line... most likely a cat but I'm still not sure yet. I have to try and get the system off of the car tomorrow to take a look.