S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Our First and Last Audi:

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's too bad you have to make judgement on an entire company over one car.

My maintenance costs at 73K are in my sig.

I do not include wear items in my maintenance like clutch, brakes, oil changes, ect...
Old 01-23-2009, 10:45 AM

Default Mine is pretty much problem-free, except

the valve gasket was leaking oil nine months ago before warranty expires, now the same problem happens again after warranty expires but I remembered I was told by the rep it would cover for a certain amount of miles and time. Can someone educate me on this matter.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The problems you've experienced with your S4...

don't relate in the slightest to what your ownership experience will be with an R8 or another S4 or any other Audi. Unfortunately, you bought a bad car. That's it. It's as simple as that. You could buy a car from any maker on the face of the planet and there is some statistical chance that you will get a bad egg. It's very, very unfortunate that you got one and I do feel sorry for you, but your experience is far from typical.

I bought my car new in January of 04. With 57k on it now, my car has been essentially problem free. It's been as good as my previous Lexus.

Regarding the R8 or any other Audi, I hope you reconsider.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I'm glad to see so many posts with minimal problems:

It would take a while to go through the paperwork to make sure I listed all of the problems. Maybe I can get around to doing that when I'm not at work along with posting the letter from Audi regarding one of the problems. The letter floored us especially after the dealer spent 30 hours trying to correct a suspension problem.

Many problems have been minor annoyances while some are major but all required a trip to the dealer and in many cases we had to wait on parts, sometimes from Germany. The problem I documented below is not the first problem we had and it was far from the last:

https://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/389417.phtml

Some of the problems we have had lately may be related to the problem in the link above but they took nearly two years to surface. The current problem is coolant leaks (plural, more than one leak) requiring the engine to be removed. Numerous parts have being replaced in the plumbing system including two metal coolant pipes, the one in the rear that goes from one side of the engine to the other and the one on the passenger side that runs from the rear of the engine to the front. The car has been in the shop three times since 12-2-08 with coolant leak problems. Perhaps it will be ready Monday.

Every time we get a problem corrected we think, "Maybe we have all the issues taken care of and we can enjoy some trouble free driving for a while". Regrettable this has yet to happen. Our goal has always been to keep the car for the long haul but we are not sure how much more we can take before we throw in the towel. We love the car but it is hard to enjoy when it is not in your possession.

Porsche_Joe
Old 01-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Sorry, here's the link:

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/389417.phtml">Out With the Old</a></li></ul>
Old 01-23-2009, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I remember you now very sorry your experience has not mirrored mine..best wishes
Old 01-23-2009, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Dealer labor with dealer parts should be covered 12 months (sure) 12k miles (not sure)
Old 01-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks,

The engine replacement went well. The down time was minimal and the car seemed fine after the replacement. I wish all of our repairs were this fast.

Porsche_ Joe
Old 01-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's what my dealer told me
Old 01-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: The problems you've experienced with your S4...

I am totally aware of the statistical aspect of our problems; however, you are unaware of our attempts to get a resolution to one of our problems from Audi of America.

Quick Reply: Our First and Last Audi: