S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

PAGING Esfo

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PAGING Esfo

I aim replace the tweeter and mid in my Bose system with DynAudio speakers and install a Clarion amp to drive them, I will use the factory amp to drive the factory sub. My question for you is.... where is the Bose amp located, is it a integral part of the radio...is it in the boot so I can get line out to feed my Clarion amp.
TIA
Old 10-08-2004, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Present and accounted for....

The amp is behind the passenger side panel in the trunk. I have pictures at home...sorry. The amp, I believe, is the home of the settings for the Bose radio. The amp is not an integral part of the stereo. The head unit has output voltage, so the amp can actually be removed completely with no ill effects.

I used David Navone output converters but I'm going to be replacing them with one made by Altomobile. It's the UI-4. I strongly recommend. But it's not released yet. Should be in 3 weeks.

If not that, there's another LOC made by Soundgate called the LOCB.2.

I didn't want to bore you with all the information on why one LOC is better than another. But these are my recommendations. I've had to do a lot of research about them. You'll need some LOC to eliminate hiss and power-on pops and to up the voltage from the factory head which may be as low as 0.5v out.

I'm not sure about the wiring on the factory amp to be able to tell you how easy it will be to just use it to power the factory sub. Go to the search feature and look for a user named Dynaudi. He's actually the Executive Director of Dynaudio USA. And he owns an A6 that he's about to do a SICK install in. Email him. He may have more info on whether or not you can do what you plan to do.

But since you're adding an amp anyway, I would just make it a 5 channel amp and put in a free air sub in place of the factory free air sub. If cost is an object, you may only pay a fraction more for the 5 channel over a 4 channel and a free air sub can be purchased for as little as $69. I'm just afraid that your factory sub won't be able to keep up with your Dyns. For a very small investment, you can have a much better sounding stereo this way.

Hope this helps....<ul><li><a href="http://www.altomobile.com/html/accessories.html">Altomobile</a></li></ul>
Old 10-08-2004, 07:29 AM

Default Re: Present and accounted for....

Thank you for the info, I will contact the Dynaudio geeza. The Clarion amp is a 2/4 maybe 6 channel amp (240 watts ish) from my previous car, I am happy with the bass at this time, just want to use the Dyn speakers rather have them collect dust in the basement. If the Dyn's overwhelm the stock bass driver then I will replace that also.
Thanks again for the info.