S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

RS4 handbuilt?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 handbuilt?

I was told by my dealer that the RS4 was essentially hand-built. If that were the case how can produce them in the numbers and variety they are going to have to with overlap international production and three different models?
Old 03-03-2006, 07:40 PM

Default Re: RS4 handbuilt?

I don't think so. I think same assembly as other A4 based models...
Old 03-03-2006, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default First RS4 and RS6 were

The first version RS4 was. They produced just over 6000 RS4s in the run...

"The RS4 is being built jointly by the Ingolstadt plant and quattro GmbH in Neckarsulm. Final assembly and finishing are carried out by hand at quattro GmbH, at the rate of no more than a few cars each day."

https://www.audiworld.com/news/00/rs4052200/content.shtml

"Based on the Audi S4 Avant, it was hand-finished in stages, with loving attention to detail, at the exclusive company quattro GmbH in Neckarsulm."

https://www.audiworld.com/news/01/080201/content.shtml

As was the RS6...

"The RS 6 is assembled and finished at quattro GmbH's production facilities, at the rate of no more than a handful of cars each day, in the best handicraft tradition. "

https://www.audiworld.com/news/02/rs6/content.shtml
Old 03-03-2006, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Quattro GmbH?

Thought they were specially built by their Quattro GmbH which I was told had limited capacity.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Quattro GmbH?

i thought quattro gmbh involved in design and customization, but not actual assembly.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:48 PM

Default Well, they are delivered to Quattro GmbH partly assembled off the reg "S" assembly line and...

only final assembly and QA are done there. So, I don't feel this qualifies as 'hand built", a la Ferrari.

Need to be careful with the "hand built" moniker as very few production cars do not have automated assembly to a majority extent.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Audi is the one saying they are assembled by hand. Those are Audi press releases.

If Porsche can say the Cayenne is German built then Audi can say the RS is build by hand.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:00 PM

Default I know, and this is an area of contention as...

what determines "hand built" can be misleading. The information I have seen is that they are "hand finished" with regard to quality assurance and attention to detail. Now, this could, and most likely is, limited to final trim and cosmetic touches exclusive to the RS line.

I would like to see Audi be more specific as to what percentage of assembly and at what level is truly being done at Quattro GmbH. Or, better yet, visit the plant there.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:52 AM
Elder Member

Default in the RS6, you can see the signs of being hand-built all over. especially up on a rack....

...i swear you can see dremel marks in the aluminum components that looks like Gunther was saying: "Hmmmm.... let's shave a little bit more of there to make it fit better."

;-)
Old 03-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Elder Member

Default Re: Quattro GmbH?

<b>quattro GmbH</b>
<i>
quattro GmbH has its head offices in Neckarsulm. A fully-owned subsidiary of AUDI AG, it was established in 1983. quattro GmbH became a vehicle manufacturer in its own right in 1996, and successfully entered the segment of high-performance vehicles in 1999 with its first own model, the Audi RS 4. It has around 230 employees, of whom 100 work in production and logistics. Its administration, development and production activities are based in Neckarsulm, whereas sales and marketing operations are controlled from Ingolstadt. quattro GmbH generated revenue of EUR 99 million in 2001.

The activities of quattro GmbH are not limited to the production of independent high-performance vehicles such as the RS 6. Other important areas of business include customisation (under the "Audi exclusive" label), supplying sports packages such as the current S line versions of the A2, A3, A4, A6 and TT, tuned vehicles, exclusive accessories and an extensive range of lifestyle articles.

Occupying a total of around 10,700 square metres of floor space, including 3,500 square metres for RS production, quattro GmbH is able to respond swiftly and flexibly to the dictates of the market and to specific customer requests. It is moreover capable of assembling various different vehicle models in parallel.

For production of the RS 6, quattro GmbH is supplied with partly assembled basic vehicles from the S6 production line. The final assembly and quality assurance processes can handle up to 20 vehicles per day in two shifts (with scope for stepping up output to around 35 vehicles a day if a third shift is worked). Saloon and Avant versions of the Audi RS 6 are available. </i>

Quick Reply: RS4 handbuilt?