S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Shifting...opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting...opinions

Love the car! Still trying to get consistent smooth up and downshifts, though. While every now and then a perfectly smooth one will grace me with its presence, mostly I'm still jerking around.

Anyway, after reading some things on this board, I started shifting without lifting the throttle, aka "powershifting". Wow! Shifts are much smoother across the board, almost like an automatic!

However, more research has unearthed numerous warnings about powershifting...not good for the driveline, tranny killer, only for the pros, etc.

Opinions, please...
Old 05-18-2004, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Powershifting = Just say NO

it's not a race car, JMHO...
Old 05-18-2004, 01:18 PM

Default Powershift concerns usually come when you're...

running the 1/4 mile and have the accelerator to the floor. If you're just holding the accelerator where it is and shifting, you should be okay. You're not seeing your revs shoot too high, right?

I usually back off the accelerator just a touch while pressing the clutch, but not enough to drop the revs below my "target" revs (for the next gear).
Old 05-18-2004, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Since our revs hang anyway, there's really no need for this either.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:29 PM

Default They hang on the way down and delay on the way back up (DBW)

If you shift fast enough to benefit from the hang, you're in great shape. If you are shifting slow and the revs drop below your target revs (for the next gear) when you press the accelerator to rev match, the delay causes a "jerky" shift.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:31 PM
Rest In Peace

Default agree; best is lift enuf so RPMs drop to target value for next higher gear

Practice, practice, practice!
Old 05-18-2004, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Holding the throttle pedal steady while upshifting is NOT powershifting

Holding it to the floor is!

Actually, this technique yields <i>very</i> smooth upshifts for me. I don't seem to have DBW issues as pronounced as some of the people here have - my revs drop like a rock the moment I lift off the throttle, so I keep steady pressure on the throttle until the clutch is coming back up.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Elder Member

Default I wouldn't do it. (powershift)

too much going on in my head that I'd screw it up anyway. i tried it a few times and I just couldn't hit 3rd. If I drive "normally" (just quick shifts) I tend to keep my momentum and the car flies.

I have been warned by too many techs in the know NOT to powershift. They say the trannies can take all the power you can give it (chip it, downpipes, even some boost...) but that they CANNOT take the powershifts. They recommend letting each gear set before applying power.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Just like others have said, this isn't power shifting...

Holding the throttle steady while quickly shifting results in no jump in rpm as the engine becomes unloaded due to the clutch disengagement. The engine speed actually remains constant or slightly drops. It's a very odd feeling being this is my first DBW car.

Now if you do this in a mechanical throttle linkage engine, you will see the rpm rise because that's the only choice, at which point the engine and driveline get a shock as you re-engage the clutch that's proportional to the speed differential. THAT is what isn't good for longevity.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Expert

When upshifting casually...the revs will drop anyway; If you shift fast enough, it'll be smooth.

Quick Reply: Shifting...opinions