S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Since Kujo talked about stoptechs and I don't want to jack his thread..

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Since Kujo talked about stoptechs and I don't want to jack his thread..

do stoptech brakes or just an upgrade in brakes for the s4 really help or justify the price for everyday use, highway and local

no track use. To what price does it justify?
Old 08-02-2005, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It all depends....

Usually....they give you better fade resistance. You can just keep braking and braking, and not experience much fade. Much more heat resistant.

The stock S4 brakes will stop you just fine, just not often on a track...they will develop fade due to heat.

Normal driving...no track time...dont bother.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:48 PM

Default I'm not going to become a big time tracker however I will be getting them....

1. I was in his car right after he got them.
AMAZING. The difference. Part of the reason I got a mt is I feel like I have more control over the car. Those brakes stop on a dime and pick it up! MORE CONTROL!

2. The brake dust factor. I have not seen it yet with my own eyes however, I am told that there will be WAY less brake dust.

3. They look beautiful. It adds something to the car. Same reason people get new wheels. Or nice shoes. They look amazing. The red caliper and drilled rotors make the car stand out.

Its not on the top of my list as I haven't done jack shiite yet to my car but it will be done.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:38 AM

Default I doubt the car stops any sooner

Braking distance is still limited mostly to tires and weight. BBK is only useful if you track the car to reduce fading and also for the blink factor. You can always reduce brake dust by using different pads.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:13 AM

Default blink factor?

After driving my car and testing out the brakes vs. being in Kujo's car (mind you i was not behind the wheel) I could feel a HUGE difference.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:26 AM

Default I meant bling

Brake feel doesn't translate to stopping any faster. Ask most experienced tuners and they will tell you the same thing.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:45 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The difference is better pedal modulation, and immediate response from the caliper

when you hit the stop pedal. Both contribute to the "feeling" that the brakes stop quicker, however you're ultimately right, it's the tires. But aftermarket brakes generally do offer these advantages on the street. Whether thats worth $2000 or not is up to the buyer.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: I doubt the car stops any sooner

I would be willing to bet that braking distance would be reduced by the stoptech and alcon kits. The main reason being increased rotor size and piston size. There does become a time when you are limited by your tires while braking, but my guess is in addition to reduced fade etc you will see overall more stoping power.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I saw a recent article comparing 5 different 350Z's

from different tuners. 3 had BBK's. All the stock brake cars stopped shorter than the ones with BBK's (all street tires). The authors commented that the bias is very carefully tuned on stock brakes, and changing it even slightly will affect absolute stopping difference.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default agree bias is very important...

i know STaSIS w/ the Alcon kit spends a lot of time trying to make systems very close to stock bias since its typically the right bias for the car.

Quick Reply: Since Kujo talked about stoptechs and I don't want to jack his thread..