S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Since most guys part out their cars before selling or trading, how would having a modded S4

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 06:42 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Since most guys part out their cars before selling or trading, how would having a modded S4

affect the sale price(private) or trade in price of the car. I don't think it would have a negative affect, but would perhaps a private buyer would pay more. I wonder how a dealership would consider the mods in terms of trade in allowance. Will they just give you Blue book?
Old 01-15-2006, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default generally, dealers don't care about mods, in fact it may arguably decrease the trade in value.

If you can find a buyer who wants them then you're set.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Personally, I would pay less for a modded car.

I would awesome (right or wrong) that the car was driven harder than a stock car. Why upgrade the powerplant or brakes unless the previous owner was pushing so hard that they felt they needed more? Now upgrades like RNS-E, different story.

I wouldn't even consider a modded turbo car. That may be the porblem with 993TT that my friend's friend is selling. Maybe be the job was done right and there's no problem but I've seen first hand how bad a job done wrong can be
Old 01-15-2006, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I think that when you are selling a highly modified car prospective buyers...

look at the car as being driven hard or abused, it just easier to change them back to stock that way there are fewer questions. Then you can get some of your mod money back because you really won't get it back if you trade it in with mods. I bet the dealer will give you less money on a trade because it isn't stock, it makes it harder to sell because you are narrowing your market.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:47 AM

Default It's the same with motorcycles...

Expect to get back a fraction of the price you paid for your mods. I'm talking like 1/4 of the price (private party), if that. Modding is just a losing proposition. The minor kick in the pants is not even close to the major gouge in the wallet. This car is fun enough stock. There's not much that's going to enhance my driving experience that Audi hasn't already done, beyond buying a faster, nicer car and moving up....
Old 01-15-2006, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Totally agree. There's more than $4k in upgrades to my 851 and it's worth the same as a stock bike
Old 01-15-2006, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Doc, Having just traded my previously stage 3 car in I can tell you this:

The dealer will highly recommend that the car is perfectly stock with OEM 80% or better tires.
When I took mine in for the inspection it was in track mode (stoptechs, track wheels, r-compounds, full milltek, h-flow, all that....)
They said that the car needed to be absolutely stock for them to give me $37K for it. Had 6k miles. 2005 MY.
Anyway, the point is that they expect a stock car. Private party, its hard to say. I personally would not buy a modified vehicle because I have this voice in the back of my mind repeating that the person must have ragged the **** out of it otherwise why mod it. Thats just me though......
Old 01-15-2006, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Out of the 2 modded cars I have traded in..

imho, it didn't affect the value AT ALL of my 2 cars... Traded in a heavily modded 90CS and a modded Civic Si both to an Audi dealership, and got a lot more than I thought I would have due to their mods...
Old 01-15-2006, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A modded car narrows down the prospective buyer base, which can work both ways.....

I've sold several, and if it's VERY close to what a specific person is looking for, you can recoup some of the money on the mods, but far from all of that $$$.

My last Audi was a PES'd A4Avant, special order from the factory for specific options and delets, full suspension, brakes, wheels and new tires. Despite an extrememly detailed, and upgraded sevice history, it was a difficult sale. Most interest came from people wanting to buy specific parts off of the car (including some of the factory options) to put on their cars. If I had had the time or incentive to pull the mods, I would have been able to sell it for more, and more quickly, plus the sale of the mods themselves.

On the other hand, I've sold most of my cars for a small premium to the right buyer as described at the beginning, but I consider that more luck that those particular people came along at the right time.

It's a crapshoot, and the odds are against a high % recovery. Consider the $$ you paid for mods to be part of the depreciation and cost of enjoying the car as you wanted it to be.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the dealer also cant CPO a modded car

Quick Reply: Since most guys part out their cars before selling or trading, how would having a modded S4