S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

So long warranty. Q for the warranty-less: How much are you setting aside for repairs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So long warranty. Q for the warranty-less: How much are you setting aside for repairs?

Got the 45K service @ 42.5K miles, just before the clock ran out. I've decided to forgo any extended warranty and just reserve cash every month- does this seem like a good idea?
Old 08-15-2008, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Not a good idea IMHO. Only a couple Gs for peace of mind for years to come???

if you are an enthusiast and drive the S like it's supposed to be driven, you're going to have natural wear and tear and who knows, could be some costly repairs. I like having the peace of mind which is why I just bought CPO... would only do CPO no matter what... wasn't interested in anything else but... but if cash isn't an issue for you, why worry?
Old 08-15-2008, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The extended warranties usually are a waste of $$.

I've been working on my own cars for over ten years. It would be better to locate your local Audi DIY crew, and start helping others work on their cars, so you can learn a thing or two.

Get a VAG and and change the oil on a regular basis.

Make sure you have Shokan saved, as i've been able to get some used parts from them over the years.<ul><li><a href="http://www.shokan.com/">http://www.shokan.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 08-15-2008, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I spent a pretty small amount of $$ for a platinum three year extended warranty...

...that's refundable on a pro-rated basis (or transferable) at any time if I decide to sell or trade my car. My deductible is $100/visit, and I plan to batch up my reasons for visiting as much as possible, should the need arise. Gives me a good piece of mind.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:21 PM

Agreed...cost you a couple grand if your AC were to go...AUDI=Another Unexpected Debt Incurred
Old 08-15-2008, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The wear and tear is what made me hesitate.

The Audi extended warranty specifically excludes wear and tear items and isn't exclusionary. A third party extended warranty covers certain wear and tear and is, with some exceptions, exclusionary, but is quoting me $5K.

Damn. I bet I waffle again by the weekend.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:31 PM

I did the Platinum as well and paid $200 extra to buy my deductible down to 0$. Worry-free driving!
Old 08-15-2008, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Big 2nd. Piece of mind is very expensive and not worth it.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Good call. If extended warranties were good for the buyer, they wouldn't be sold so aggresively.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default i think it's much different for those that have already owned the car ....

...vs those that are buying a used car. in your case, i see the dilemma. i've never owned a car for more than 2-3 years but every time I buy a used car, it's a CPO. i'm not made of cash and would rather have money invested in the warranty than be prepared to come out of pocket down the road. for example, i just bought my s4... the rod/arm for the driver's side window is shot. needs to be replaced... window won't go back up... only 37K... covered under warranty... along with the amp that powers the rear speakers. it's shot, needs to be replaced.. covered under the warranty. imagine if you have something major happen... the little things will add up... one major issue, the warranty pays off.... good luck either way.

Quick Reply: So long warranty. Q for the warranty-less: How much are you setting aside for repairs?