S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

There's a NEW TSB out everyone. Your going to want to know about this one....

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 02:46 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There's a NEW TSB out everyone. Your going to want to know about this one....

I have the TSB, but I can't scan it until Monday.

The TSB just came in. It's related to the bolts on the intake manifold. If you pop the hood, you'll notice that the intake manifold (sits right on top of the block) has about 14 or so torx bolts that hold it in place and secure it to the block.

The TSB has gone out because these bolts have been known to come loose, and can cause the intake manifold to leak and or shake. That's not very good. The best way to know whether or not your S4 is affected is to do the following:

1) Pop the hood.
2) Look at the front of the block, near the bumper. In front of the intake manifold you should see a few colored dots. On my engine were a green and brown dot.
3) If you HAVE A YELLOW DOT, then you are OK.
If you DO NOT HAVE A YELLOW DOT, then you need to have the TSB done to your car.

Your dealer should have more info and a copy of the TSB. But you can check to see if you need the TSB by looking for the LACK of the yellow dot.

Just so you know, my car was affected. When they pulled the old engine, my tech said he could unscrew the manifold bolts by hand. Looks like they weren't torqued correctly from the factory.

Just FYI. I'll add the TSB to the collection next week for all to download.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks for the info!

gonna go check now.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:58 PM

Default no dots ... looking right place

so i pulled the 4.2 V8 plastic part to i could see more stuff ... and i saw more stuff ... flashlight looking around i did not see any dots ...

is the surface with the dots a horiz surface?
is is vertical? is is actually below the intake on the block or are they on the grey intake manifold?

can you give a horiz reference of where to look?

"near the bumper" - meaning vertically near it?

found a barcoded sticker under the 4.2 V8 plastic,but no dots
Old 07-08-2004, 03:04 PM
Elder Member

Default It's on a horizontal piece, not vertical. And it's located RIGHT underneath the grey intake...

manifold. You should see at least two dots I believe. I know one of them is green, and I thought the other brown. Your looking for a yellow dot. If you see NO dots, then you definitely want to take it in.

I think the dots are related to certain TSBs that have been performed on the engine. I'd be interested in knowing what the other two are for.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:05 PM
Elder Member

No problem! It's under the V8 4.2 plastic piece.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default do you know if this relates to the first engines as well?

With the spring problem.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:13 PM
Elder Member

Default Yes. My intake manifold on my last engine was extremely loose and the tech pulled them off...

with his hands. That's how loose they were.

The new engines should not have this problem. But the TSB was JUST released today. So I expect most of the engines need to have them tightened.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:20 PM

Default i must be dumb ... found head gasket and grn torx

I can see where the intake ends (on the the head) but anywhere i look there is stuff in the way to look down ... one small opening lets me see where the drivers side head mates to the block, a bit of blue head gasket visible and
the head of a green torx (i'm presuming that's not a dot)

can you direct me from there?
Old 07-08-2004, 03:40 PM

Default Thanks Wes... Maybe some pics for those who need help...

Not me but it might be useful
Old 07-08-2004, 04:18 PM
Elder Member

Default Sure, your looking too far down.

It's right on the top of the block, right "below" the intake manifold. When I say "below", I mean forward. Closer to you, standing in front of the car.

The dots are the size of a dab with a felt marker. I think they are paint. I'll go through some pics and see if I can find something more illustrative.

Quick Reply: There's a NEW TSB out everyone. Your going to want to know about this one....