S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

For those running carbotech's (i.e. xp8) on the street, do you have a lot of squeal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those running carbotech's (i.e. xp8) on the street, do you have a lot of squeal?

I seem to get it when coming up to a slow stop most of the time and I thought some people said they didn't have a problem with it.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Lot's o' squeal with XP-8's on the street

I went with Bobcats on the street and I used the XP-8's for tracking.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:51 AM
Elder Member

Default The xp8's will squeal right as you come to a stop...

unless you have a lot of heat in the system, and then they are quiet.

I found the xp9's to be quieter believe it or not. I had the xp9's on the car for one weekend, then drove the car for a week and went right back to the track the following weekend with the pads on the car. The car was completely quiet during the week. The only time I ever heard anything from the pads were the final 1-2MPH before I came to a stop. And that was avoidable by just releasing the brake and cruising to a stop.

The worst part about that pad on the street is the very light pressure brake. Medium to hard braking usually results in no sound. The very very light pedal gives you more of a growl than a squeal.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Bobcats squealed so bad on the fronts I had to remove them.

I am really disappointed. Tried many things to make it right. Bedding in properly, different types of anti squeal, etc.

The brackets that hold the pad (riveted bracket) are loose and not quite "square" and I suspect that may be the problem but can't be sure.

I REALLY wanted this to work.

The rears work just fine.

If anyone has any ideas I am willing to try again! But I do think I have a defective pair. Just don't know.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I know it's only 2 7mm bolts to remove but wasn't thrilled about having to swap pads for track days

it's all I can do right now to get out the door and to the event w/out leaving something behind and to add the issue of swapping pads too just means more prep.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:14 AM
Elder Member

Default Sorry to hear about that. A real bummer.

I have the pads on my car now. They are quiet. Occasionally they will make some noise coming to a creeping stop on a hill or something, but by no means unbearable. In fact, most of the time I can barely hear it, but when I do, I have to put the window down just to be sure. Most of the time, when this happens, I barely have enough time to hear something from the rotor.

The Bobcats are Carbotech's Street/Auto-X pad. It's certainly more aggressive than the stock pad, but still is very light for the weight of the car, and so it's more of a street pad for us with little dust.

Again, sorry to hear they were squealing. Other than bedding them in with some heat, and getting a nice layer of film on the rotor, I don't know what to recommend?
Old 03-10-2005, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Know what you mean

but that squeal was REALLY bad on my car. People with their windows up were looking at me when I pulled up to stop lights.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Haven't heard a single peep out of mine

I really like the Bobcats.

I did put the orange anti-squeal goo on the back of my pads...
Old 03-10-2005, 08:34 AM
Elder Member

bring your oven mitts too! Those things get HOT.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:35 AM
Elder Member

Default I never put any of the goo on there but with a single piston design...

and as large as the pads are, probably a very smooth choice. Some anti-seize works good too, but be VERY careful with that stuff!

Quick Reply: For those running carbotech's (i.e. xp8) on the street, do you have a lot of squeal?