S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Two complaints about the S4 (ok actually 3)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two complaints about the S4 (ok actually 3)

1. Why does the fan seem to have a mind of it's own? I have it almost always on ECON and it's NEVER on Auto, but the fan speed keeps adjusting itself. And sometimes while adjusting the fan speed the Auto will come on by itself.

2. The XM is horrible. I was driving to work and kept listening to the radio and then XM and I honestly think regular radio sounds better than XM even with the volume turned up.

3. The gas mileage. Got the worst ever yesterday when filling up. Almost 180 miles on a full tank and I was almost empty.

Other than that this car is AMAZING
Old 12-22-2004, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Answers:

1) Because it does. Econ can <i>still</i> be Auto.

2) I 100% positively agree. It'a an acquired taste.

3) It can suck. Teach yourself to not use the brakes, i.e., look further down the road and coast instead of braking.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:38 PM

Default I was told the nub on the dash center...was intelligent, and would change fan...

speed. But I was also told that would only happen in auto mode...but...it still adjusts
like my radio. Even though I disabled the
sound/volume on the radio. Odd stuff again.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:40 PM

Yeah, what he said . 3 reasons to just accept it.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:23 PM

Default Yea I always downshift to slow down. 1 to save fuel and 2 to keep the brake dust down :)

As for the fan, I mean it's in econ and the Auto button isn't lit, but it still adjusts itself. Like I will have it at 2 bars, and after a while it'll go up to 3 or 4 bars even though Auto isn't on. Talk about a mind of your own.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:26 PM

Default When you push the "Econ" button...

...<i>every other</i> part of the climate control system remains in auto (fan speed, vent selection, and recirc). The only difference is that the A/C compressor no longer operates.

Also, I didn't mean that you should downshift instead of brake; I meant that I personally try to use the following mentality: <i>if I have to use the brakes, then I could have gotten off the gas earlier, thus saving fuel.</i> In other words, if you see a stoplight turn red two blocks ahead, immediately begin coasting as apposed to maintaining speed right up to the light and then hitting brakes. Whew!
Old 12-22-2004, 03:31 PM

Default oh haha, yea my driving habit has always been like that, but ppl behind me seem to get annoyed...

I think they expect you to maintain speed all the way until the red light. When I slowly creep up to the red light then always tail gate me or try to pass... oh well.

So for the fan, there is no way to turn off auto completely? I would like to set it at 2 bars and assume it would stay there. It's not a huge problem though, just a little annoying gripe I have with the car
Old 12-22-2004, 03:35 PM

Default Lol...I know what you mean.

Not sure if there is a way to disable auto fan control. Do you mean that if you manually adjust the fan speed it goes ahead and changes itself again later? I will have to see what mine does...maybe that's <i>not</i> normal.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:42 PM

Default Yea that's what I mean

If I set the fan speed at say 2 bars, with Auto OFF, for some reason it will go up to 3 or 4 or 5 bars a little later. Or say it's at 1 bar with Auto OFF, and I put it to 2 bars, the Auto light comes on even though I didn't push Auto... haha
Old 12-22-2004, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default The captain didn't emphasize NOT DOWNSHIFTING to save gas enough. Do not downshift if you trying to

save gas! Coast to a stop, use the brakes. Just look at your trip computer...go the current mpg reading, put it in neutral while coasting and put it in a gear and compare. 128mpg vs 30mpg.

Quick Reply: Two complaints about the S4 (ok actually 3)