S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Update on engine rattle sound and work with dealer

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have a rattle also

this is not the chain tensioner rattle on startup. That is seperate and annoying.

This rattle is only evident when starting from a standstill and only when engaging the clutch at sloe speed. It sounds like a little rattle. Sometimes it goes away. I can make it louder if I really feather the clutch. If i rev it a bit and engage more agressivly it wont happen or at least not as much. It has a bit of a metallic sound.

thoughts?
Old 08-31-2007, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be the same, but mine only happens on startup, never during driving.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't think my sound is the downpipes hitting anything. My sound seems to come from the engine.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It definitely could be this sound. I think it comes from the back of the engine where...

the tensioners reside. Problem is that if that is the problem, they'll say its "normal".
Old 08-31-2007, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Interesting development on this issue....

Today I popped the vacuum hose off the intake flap actuator before I started the car on my way to work. I was not surprised to hear the rattle sound, just as I thought I would. This disproves the tech's theory that it would never happen without the vacuum. Its not the intake.

I will go back to the dealer on Tuesday and see what they say. I'm leaning toward the tensioners again....
Old 08-31-2007, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re TSB 2010294/4

So that TSB acknowledges the problem, but states that it is normal and there is nothing to 'fix'?

Has anyone got a full copy (PDF, JPG or otherwise) of the TSB?
Old 09-02-2007, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Since they say it is startup oil pressure related, one might try changing oil type.

You might try an oil that has a lower starting viscosity, which will get up to pressure more quickly. What are you currently using?
Old 09-02-2007, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The car has the standard oil they use at the dealer. I've never changed the oil or requested....

anything different. What would you recommend?
Old 09-03-2007, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Several you could try

First find out what the dealer is using, and don't use that. I'd start with something like Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, and see if that makes a difference in sound. It's a high quality oil that meets Audi specs, at a reasonable price and, it can be found on-line here.

The other oil you can use is Castrol TXT 505, which is the oil specified for the RS6. It's a very sturdy oil.

The other thing I'd do is to change your oil every 5K miles, instead of whatever the manufacturer recommends.

My guess is that Audi is not telling the whole story about the cam tensioner. I think that what happens is that the cam chain stretches over time, which requires more movement from the tensioner at cold start. The noise is the chain before the hydraulic system pushes the tensioner in position. If Pennzoil helps, it's because it has better lubrication qualities than the dealer oil (which ain't a big surprise.) But if it does work, then I've got an even better oil for you ... but it is not Audi approved. However, it will significantly reduce wear.<ul><li><a href="http://oilstore.stores.yahoo.net/pesy5weufoca.html">Pennzoil Platinum Euro</a></li></ul>
Old 09-03-2007, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks. I will give that a try. I can't argue with your theory on the chain stretching...

That makes sense. I just wish the chains weren't on the back of the engine..

Quick Reply: Update on engine rattle sound and work with dealer