S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

$500 Test Drive - I'm a Dope

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $500 Test Drive - I'm a Dope

Ok, so I finally go out on Friday (105 degre weather) to test drive the S4. I drive an automatic without sports diff and have a blast. Lots of high speed runs and nice curving roads. I ask the sales guy if I can try one with a sports diff. We go back and He puts me in the fully loaded prestige pkg with 19" in summer performance tires. Well, like a dolt I pull out to the left and the car is parked so close to the curb that I curbed the rear right wheel and cut into the tire. Totally my fault. The SA is young and pretty much freaks out that he is going to get killed by mgmt. I told him to go to his boss and see what happens. Boss says my insurance will have to cover it. Again, my fault so I ask how much. They tell me fixing the nick in the wheel is no big deal ($110) ok so that seems fair. Now here is where I am a little miffed. The tell me the tire is $400 and needs to be replaced. Sounds like they want to charge me full retail for the tire. Now I don't mind being accountable for my mistakes, but I think they could at least let me get the tire at cost. Does $400 sound a little outrageous to you folks? It's kinda souring me on the whole idea of the S4 if tires are going to cost me $400 bucks a pop if they get flattened.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Yes, your fault but stuff happens. Let's take it another step further. What would have happened if you got in an accident on the test drive? Would you expect your insurance to cover it? Not likely. They have insurance for stuff like that, and that's the cost of doing business. Just MHO.

If they were the 18" Pirelli P7s, I believe that Tire Rack charges $300 per.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shouldn't their insurance cover that? If you break a dish at a restaurant, yes it's your fault, but do they add the cost of the dish to your bill? Price of doing business.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would like to think that they would cover it under cost of business. I'm sure I could fight it if I really thought they were being mercenary about it, but i just think $400 is a bit much for a 19 in Conti tire. If I do buy an S4 from them I will make sure I get it back in add ons or maybe a reduced price in Audi care.

Just curious if the experienced Audi vets here know of any tire in that price range? Really seems like top retail price to me. If that's the case then I will give them crap for making a profit on an accident, which is completely unprofessional to me.

The other thing this gives me is the ability to say under no circumstances do I want to hear from them that's not our problem if I have a service issue.

I set the tone of what I expect from people. So if they expect this from me. I expect them to own a problem if it occurs.

This is Silver Spring Audi in MD if anyone has experience with them.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you aren't ready to pony up for the care and feeding of a sport sedan then go and drive a camry. $300-$400 per tire sounds about right. And they don't last very long either.

As far as who should pay in this circumstance, that is a different story.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pyro451
If you aren't ready to pony up for the care and feeding of a sport sedan then go and drive a camry. $300-$400 per tire sounds about right. And they don't last very long either.

As far as who should pay in this circumstance, that is a different story.

Well thanks but I wasn't asking for your sarcasm. I just went to tirerack and that sounds about wrong. $300 is the most expensive non RFT they have listed in the ultra high performance summer tire OEM Conti for S4's.

My Michelins and Pirelli's on my other cars cost about $250.00 or less.

I am fully aware of what it costs to own and maintain a higher level vehicle. I have owned several Porsche, BMW and Mercedes this was going to be my first Audi.

My point I was trying to convey was that I think they are crossing the line not once, but twice by not only asking me to pay for the tire, but charging me top rate.

Last edited by Evlengr; 07-01-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Why does the tire need to be replaced? Does it have a bubble in the sidewall? A slight curbing of the wheel shouldn't damage the tire.

Check the price of the matching OEM tire on TireRack. FWIW, there are many $300+ non runflat 255/35/19 tires from them.

Regardless, if they keep insisting you have to replace the tire make sure you leave with the old one in your possession so they can't charge you for something they're not actually replacing.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pyro451
Shouldn't you be driving a BMW with that attitude instead of an Audi?
Old 07-01-2012, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What model tire did it have on it? If it had the Michelin Pilot sport 3 on it, they are $416 a piece on tire rack.com for the 19" tires. They are $300 for 18" like I have on my S4.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Premium%20Plus

The continental in that size range from $350 to almost $400. So the price for the summer tires is about right. All seasons tend to be less (which is what I will buy after I wear the current tires out)
Old 07-01-2012, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Premium%20Plus

for the OE continental.

Quick Reply: $500 Test Drive - I'm a Dope