S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

** TPMS & Gearbox Malfunction Flashing On **

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ** TPMS & Gearbox Malfunction Flashing On **

I have read on other forums and AudiWorld of instances which one of the two error flashes on the dash. I wanted to know if this has happen to anyone on a 2012 S4?

A first received the TPMS and the slippery icon at 500 miles, took it into the dealer and the service advisor mentioned that the issues pops up when you run low octane fuel. I had the dealer empty the fuel tank so I can gas it up and have the advisor see me put high octane fuel, again the lights turn on, but this time the flat tire indicator, brake, and ABS light turn on then they flash for a bit and later all the lights turn off. Very weird behavior; now I have the Gear Malfuntion flash in the dash while the TPMS and the rest of the Christmas tree dashboard lights up. Wanted to know if anyone on the forum has had this happen to them and what was the solution.

I am going into service on Thursday and I have Audi Customer Relations already involved in the matter, but as I mentioned to the advisor...I feel that they are not diagnosing the vehicle accordingly. I find it had to believe that a car with only 1300 miles is have all these issues
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2012, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

For those interested in this issue, check out the video...you will see what I mean about my TPMS going haywire.

TPMS Malfunction
Old 05-11-2012, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Supposedly I am getting my car back on Monday with all repairs done. Service Manger called me this afternoon, but was not able to make out what he left on my VM. I will keep you guys posted on what the issue of the vehicle was.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Quick update, just got my car back from Audi only to find out that the repair work only lasted 20 miles. Lights are back on and worse then ever. I am so frustrated, took the vehicle back this morning to see what other excuse they are going to give me.

On a side note, April from Audi of North America who is involved with this situation has been AWESOME. She calls me and keeps me updated with the situation and this morning when I dropped of my car, she called me to ask me what had happen. Can't complain on the behalf of Audi North America, but my dealer thats a different story.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

I'd be interested in hearing how the octane level can cause the TPMS to go off.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I'd be interested in hearing how the octane level can cause the TPMS to go off.
It was total BS from them, a quick way to wash their hands from the problem. If you notice I have taken it back with NO GAS and allow them to put gas and test it for themselves. They haven't given me that excuse again ever since.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

So, I met with the director of operation of the dealer and he finally got involved with the repair of my car.

It was stated that at the PORT they put bad fuel in my car and caused the injectors to fault. (BS if you ask me, either way they have placed the order for new injectors and I am waiting for them to arrive)

They then called me that it was the bearings of the front wheels that are triggering off the sensors. The bearings were replaced and of course did not do a dam thing. The last call of the day was that they had found a loose ABS cable, god knows were, and THAT was the cause of the problem. These guys are pulling a bunch of crap out of their hats...I am waiting to get my vehicle back and see how long the repair will last, that is if they have repaired the car.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

You know, my car B5 did some crazy **** like that once... It took me a while to find it, but there was a lot of moisture (dunno what liquid) in the connector for the ECU. I dried it out, and the problems immediately disappeared. Have those dealership clowns checked your ECU or swapped it out or anything like that? I mean, think of the common things between your symptoms...that leaves about one thing. And everything they have told you sounds like insanity to me. Bad gas at the port? Really? I'd be talking lemon law talk at this point. I'm not any expert, bur I'd be all over the ECU path, and to me it doesn't sound like they have enough rational sense to go there.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Talbot
You know, my car B5 did some crazy **** like that once... It took me a while to find it, but there was a lot of moisture (dunno what liquid) in the connector for the ECU. I dried it out, and the problems immediately disappeared. Have those dealership clowns checked your ECU or swapped it out or anything like that? I mean, think of the common things between your symptoms...that leaves about one thing. And everything they have told you sounds like insanity to me. Bad gas at the port? Really? I'd be talking lemon law talk at this point. I'm not any expert, bur I'd be all over the ECU path, and to me it doesn't sound like they have enough rational sense to go there.
Trust me, that I may not be a master tech in Audi, but do have common sense to set them straight. All this BS they are feeding me I throw it back at them with a bigger debate and further explanation, to the point that another excuse is brought up. I leave it at that since I dont want to continue getting aggravated and just want my vehicle back. It's the same thing I say to my advisor, I dont by $XXX amount of money monthly to drive a loaner...I pay for a S4 and I want it back in full working order in a timely fashion.

Unfortunately, the Lemon Law in Florida has a bit of trickery to it for me to pursue that option now. You first need to take it to them 3 times for the same mechanical issue or have it in the repair shop for more than 30 total cumulative days. If they return the vehicle after the 3 attempt and still fails, then I have to send a certified letter to Audi of North American, a Motor Vehicle Defect Notification, requesting a final repair which entitles them to 10 additional days to attempt the repair.

If all fails again, then the state of Florida forces the manufacture to buy back the vehicle. Thankfully we have a very good system in place which is very customer centric and facilitates the process for you but it is still a pain in the butt.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

I hear you on the FL lemon law. The one experience I had with that didn't come down to that much effort in the end. They couldn't solve the problem, and they knew it, so they bought the car back without a great deal of hassle.

Quick Reply: ** TPMS & Gearbox Malfunction Flashing On **