S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2010 S4 burning oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 S4 burning oil?

So i bought a S4 about a year ago and i absolutely love the car. I have IE stage 2 tune running on E40 along with there DSG tune. I have been noticing recently that my oil level has been dropping over time. It seems to drop decently quick and i have to add about a quart every couple hundred miles. The car runs great and doesn't seem to smoke when first started or just normal driving but if i get on it hard you can definitely smell oil and it will puff out a little smoke when you get on it. I have replaced the PCV system hoping that would solve it but it doesn't seem to have solved it. It definitely seemed to smoke less after but that may just be phycological. Im just not sure where to go from here because i cant find any leaks. I thought maybe the valve covers were leaking onto the manifolds and that's why i smelt it but i replaced both valve cover gaskets and still smell it and it still will puff out a little smoke. My coolant also seems to be going down over time but i don't know if maybe those two are related? Someone told me rings but i figured with rings it would smoke much more constantly and would smoke a ton at higher RPM. Do i just need to get a catch can to solve this problem? i have seen tons of people with a similar issue but no one seems to be able to give a good answer or solution. I would be ok with just putting on a catch can to solve this issue but i just want to make sure that it isnt something more major that i am missing. I wouldn't think the PCV would fail this quickly being that it was only installed about 2-3 months ago.
Old 10-09-2021, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can see my post from a couple days ago with same issue .

Im smelling oil at high rpm, but consume more and smoke when doing city low rpm driving.

pvc was replaced less than a year ago with oem parts.

Valve cover, timing chain cover gaskets both changed within 2 years .

I'm leaning toward piston rings being stuck . I'm going to try an engine flush with liqui moly, and see how it goes from there . I did add some liqui Molly 2020 oil saver last oil change , and that seemed to help with consumption. But just make sure you keep oil level full and send it
Old 10-09-2021, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve been doing tons of reading and research and it seems that all of this is normal. These motors just use oil and there isn’t much you can do about it without a ton of work. This sounds bad but I’m ok with that. As long as it isn’t a huge problem and I keep it full I’m ok with it. I found another forum talking all about it and even a couple articles from Audi and it’s completely normal. I know Audi motors have a issue of consuming oil and the 3.0 seems to be no different. I also talked to a friend from Audi and he said that the more miles the car gets the faster it seems to go. I’m going to still do a catch can and try to get as much from being burnt as possible but it seems to be a mix of the PCV, the piston rings, and the valves. You can apparently get a “updated” PCV but you have to go to Audi to get your ECU updated and I don’t want to do all that. Like I said it’s only a little oil every couple hundred miles and as long as it’s not anything serious I can live with it. It’s one of the number 1 most common things on a 3.0 so as long as it stays at the rate it’s at I’m ok with it.
Old 11-07-2021, 01:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it helps to have a reference point, my 2010 S4 burns about 1L of oil every 8-10.000km
Old 02-15-2022, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Breyden Phillips
So i bought a S4 about a year ago and i absolutely love the car. I have IE stage 2 tune running on E40 along with there DSG tune. I have been noticing recently that my oil level has been dropping over time. It seems to drop decently quick and i have to add about a quart every couple hundred miles. The car runs great and doesn't seem to smoke when first started or just normal driving but if i get on it hard you can definitely smell oil and it will puff out a little smoke when you get on it. I have replaced the PCV system hoping that would solve it but it doesn't seem to have solved it. It definitely seemed to smoke less after but that may just be phycological. Im just not sure where to go from here because i cant find any leaks. I thought maybe the valve covers were leaking onto the manifolds and that's why i smelt it but i replaced both valve cover gaskets and still smell it and it still will puff out a little smoke. My coolant also seems to be going down over time but i don't know if maybe those two are related? Someone told me rings but i figured with rings it would smoke much more constantly and would smoke a ton at higher RPM. Do i just need to get a catch can to solve this problem? i have seen tons of people with a similar issue but no one seems to be able to give a good answer or solution. I would be ok with just putting on a catch can to solve this issue but i just want to make sure that it isnt something more major that i am missing. I wouldn't think the PCV would fail this quickly being that it was only installed about 2-3 months ago.
My 2014 S4 has been burning oil for a while. I just keep a case in the garage and check it frequently. I have tried almost every high quality recommended oil and it doesn't seem to make a difference. As long as it doesn't leak out anywhere, I have learned to live with it.