S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2015 AUDI S4 Ordering

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To each his own. No doubt.
But while I don't drive on the track, that is where the driver assist dynamic steering would truly shine. It's a day and night difference from regular S4 steering in the premium plus. Every Audi R car comes with dynamic steering. It's the ratio (not the boost) that is changed with dynamic steering. And if you use the flaps on the wheel with an STronic S4, it's a lot easier with dynamic steering as the wheel only needs to be turned a fraction of what is needed in a premium plus. If you drive a Prestige with the driver assist option you will immediately notice the difference, it's that drastic. Cars without the "dynamic steering" have a fixed 15.9:1 ratio regardless of the ADS mode which ONLY changes the level of steering assist. The "dynamic steering" adds the dynamic ratio, but still gives you a fixed ratio in dynamic mode for when you want it. In dynamic mode, the steering ratio stays locked at 14.3:1 for exactly this reason and that's still a more direct ratio than the standard (non driver assist S4) steering which has a ratio of 15.9:1 at all times.

For reference, here are the figures.

S4 w/o the driver assist option (a premium plus) has the following steering characteristics:
Comfort mode: Fixed ratio at 15.9:1 and speed sensitive high level of boost.
Auto mode: Fixed ratio at 15.9:1 and speed sensitive medium level of boost.
Dynamic mode: Fixed ratio at 15.9:1 and speed sensitive low level of boost.

Prestige S4 equipped with Driver Assist - Dynamic steering - only available on the Prestige:
Comfort mode: speed sensitive variable ratio from 9:1 to 18:1 with comfortable boost at highway speed. Suited for long highway journeys. Precise, but comfortable at highway speeds.
Auto mode: speed sensitive variable ratio from 9:1 to 18:1 with progressively less boost at higher speeds. Suited for daily driving. Precise and tight at higher speeds, precise and easy to maneuver at parking lot speeds.
Dynamic mode: fixed ratio at 14.3:1 with dynamic boost for most predictable dynamic driving. Suited for dynamic driving on the track or on mountain/canyon roads. 14.3:1 is a much more direct ratio than the standard steering which has a ratio of 15.9:1 at all times.

Dynamic steering actually changes the dynamics of the car between the different ADS modes, whereas the standard steering simply artificially increases or reduces boost depending on whether you select dynamic in the MMI. The dynamic steering - only available on the Prestige - is a game changing option as it completely transforms the car, and lets you feel the benefits of the changed ratio every second of driving.

Models with dynamic steering have a power steering cooler in front of the radiator. The CPS interferes with the stock cooler so it must be replaced with the APR version - but that is only if you are going to do a modification.

if you opt for the dynamic steering you physically get a different steering rack. One that has a gear called a Harmonic Drive to dynamically adjust the steering ratio.

An S4 with regular steering is not bad, not bad at all. It's just that the steering on the Prestige with Driver assist is extremely different and makes you feel like you can control and steer the car with amazingly agile precision.

It's hard to understand the huge difference unless you drive them both. If the dealer does not have an S4 Prestige, then drive an RS5 - which has the steering and you will instantly see the benefits Audi's amazing dynamic steering.

Remember, steering is something that you use every moment of driving. Before you order a Premium Plus, it's worth a try to see the entirely different level of driving that you get with the dynamic steering. My personal opinion.

Last edited by marcusmiller; 06-10-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

GOT THE CALL YESTERDAY. MY 2015 WILL BE DELIVERED TO THE DEALERSHIP ON 07/14 AND HOPEFULLY PICKING IT UP THE NEXT DAY!
Old 06-12-2014, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still don't understand why Audi forces you to get the Prestige package in order to have Dynamic Steering. Absolutely should be an a la cart option. Pure stupidity IMO.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Timmay
Still don't understand why Audi forces you to get the Prestige package in order to have Dynamic Steering. Absolutely should be an a la cart option. Pure stupidity IMO.
True but think about last year I could not even get side assist as a stand alone option. On the other hand the limitation in separate options makes production more effective and that's one of the main reason why those cars cost a lot less then in Europe...everyone over there orders their car "A la carte".
Old 06-12-2014, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shivamerlin
True but think about last year I could not even get side assist as a stand alone option. On the other hand the limitation in separate options makes production more effective and that's one of the main reason why those cars cost a lot less then in Europe...everyone over there orders their car "A la carte".
Hmmm I'm not so sure about that with respect to separate options making the car too expensive. I mean, Europe is Europe and is always more expensive. For that matter, so is Japan (based on experience). If cars are built the way they are at BMW's plant in S. Carolina, it's very easy and efficient for them to "add on" certain options even up to the very last minute before the car is completed. I took the tour of that plant and was quite impressed with the efficiency of that system.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Timmay, you are right, dynamic steering should be available in the premium plus. Audi seems to think that most people are ok with exactly the same A4 steering in an S4, which is true of the S4 premium Plus. My opinion is that most people don't even know the absolutely huge difference that exists in the steering when you go to a Prestige with the true Dynamic Steering like that on Audi R cars. If they did, it would be hard to justify not spending some extra money to get real performance steering that excites, as much as the engine, each and every time you drive the car. Most Audi Sales people will not even tell you about the difference unless pushed, because most dealers primarily order premium plus models because of pricing. It was only because I had a completely upfront sales person - who had a S4 Prestige with dynamic steering, that I was able to learn about the big difference in steering.