S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2016 S4 v 2016 A6 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 S4 v 2016 A6 3.0

So, with the deal my dealer is giving me and incentives I have the options between a 2016 S4 and a fully loaded 2016 A6 Prestige with the 3.0 Engine and 20" wheels.

In other words, both cars will have the same engine, the S4 is of course lighter and the A6 has well, pretty much any option you can think of and then a few more. Tuning either vehicle puts the engine in some pretty interesting territory.

Its mostly for a daily driver but there is the odd chance I might, maybe, take it to a Road Course. It will be far from a regular enterprise.

Price is at invoice on both and with some incentives the A6 is only slightly more expensive than the S4.

Also found and S6, but ultimately, just couldn't afford it.

What do you think? Smaller, quicker, nimbler or larger, fancier, smoother.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Having owned iterations of both...

... both wonderful cars with very different missions. For this year, the A6 gets a horsepower bump, so closing in on the S4 in straight line capacity. However, the feel is so different. We loved both cars, but the A6 understeers when really pushed and you can overdrive the brakes with spirited driving. That being said, as a daily driver, the A6 is sublime and the backseat room is ideal. The fuel mileage was about 15% better on the A6. The smaller S4 is so well balanced as a sports sedan, it is hard to find fault (save for the smaller rear seat).

For a couple of years, we had the ideal stable; an A6 3.0 w/sport package, etc. and an S5. Then my wife really got the sports car bug and wants her own car in the mountains on the weekend. So, we have a 2014 S4 and a 2015 RS5. I tried the S6, and it was a real bear, but not quite the right tool for the mountains.

If I were to get a new A6, I would do an aftermarket exhaust, a front brake kit and a bit of help for the suspension (~4-5K). The tranny is the tip-tronic and not the S-Tronic, but under spirited driving conditions, I just shift one beat ahead of how I use the S4 Tiptronic. Most of the time, all of cars just travel the world in sport mode.

No bad choices, just different joys

Eric
Old 06-20-2015, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Honestly, I think your best bet is to really figure out what you want out of your next car. Your posts have referred to the S4, S6, A6, M3 and ATS-V. That's a pretty wide range from luxury to sport and in prices. You can probably be happy in any of them but only if you buy what you truly want. If you want luxury more than sport, A6 is a fine car. If you want sport more than luxury, the S4 is a great choice for a daily driver. The S6, M3 and ATS-V are in different price categories so they make sense if the performance from an A6 or S4 aren't enough.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Great Advice...and yeah, having a hard time deciding. If I didn't live in the great white north I'd definately be talking about a much sportier RWD option, but I don't. I keep coming back to the S4, and was set on that (planned on getting an APR tune). But then I drove the S6, loved the punch and upgraded interior. Then another dealer tried to earn np my business with the A6...so here I am. At this point I've ruled out the A6 and am just trying to decide if it's worth 20k more to buy the S6 instead of the S4. As you've said, it's good to have choices. Clearly my problem is not car choices but that I need a bigger garage. :-)
Old 06-20-2015, 06:47 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had been given an A7 with 3.0T engine for a loaner. Very nice car. I was bored with in in less than an hr. Its much different than an s4, Plus the difference between the S tronic and Tiptronic trans is significant. Not a bad car, just not an s4.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you're not clear on exactly what you want, then I'd venture to say the S4 is a great choice. Aside from shuttling 6 foot passengers in the backseat, it does everything very well.

Comfortable, luxurious, sporty, easily tunable, with the best all wheel drive available... It's such a sweet ride. I've never met anyone who said, "Oh man, buying the S4 was a mistake."

Hell, it's just a car. Drive it for a few years and if you want, trade it for something else. If anything, it will help you realize exactly what qualities you want to emphasize for your next car.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

What about the Sports Differential?
This gives the S4 tremendous turning capabilities.
The S6 don't have this! And will not keep up with the S4 on turns.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm planning on sticking with the S4. Was a bit tempted by a loaded BMW 550i xdrive today but that was because of a lease deal at $640/month and $5k down. Yowza. Ima sucker for big V8's But I really want something I could potentially take to the track, so I'm still going with the s4.

Last edited by spicedparrot; 06-22-2015 at 03:14 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Figured I'd update these threads with my decision for future reference. For anyone that may care I ultimately went with the 2016 S6. All the luxury all the speed. Both way more than I need.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by spicedparrot
Figured I'd update these threads with my decision for future reference. For anyone that may care I ultimately went with the 2016 S6. All the luxury all the speed. Both way more than I need.
Nice!!! Will be interested in your thoughts on it. I wanted to go that route, but afraid with twin girls as seniors in high school next year that my fun $ is pretty well spoken for over the next few years so went S4. Seven months into ownership and I really enjoy the car, but I still am regularly over on the S6 forum reading and tracking whats going on there--hoping that is my next stop some day. Maybe with some scholarships for the kids, that can happen sooner rather than later!

Enjoy and congrats.

Quick Reply: 2016 S4 v 2016 A6 3.0