S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Advice for a Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for a Newbie

First off...kudos to everyone for being so enthusiastic and helpful. This site has been a great resource during my obsessive research. (Long-ish first post...sorry.)

I've been cross-shopping for a new DD and I think the S4 is "the one." But I have a few questions for the pros. I would be ordering a 2012 U.S. model with 6-speed manual.

1. Paint. Since 2012 has limited selections, I'm thinking of going Exclusive. I've gotten conflicting info regarding the upcharges. I know some colors are $2500 and others are $6000 Is $2500 for Audi-only colors that are not otherwise part of the Exclusive program (ie, regular colors but from a different model); with $6000 for Exclusive-only colors (like Ipanema Brown and Velvet Purple)? What about non-Audi colors (Porsche, Bentley, etc.)? Are those $2500 or $6000? Two dealers had different answers.

Right now my 2 favorites are Sepang Blue and Suzuka Gray. I do think those are $2500. But there are several Porsche colors that I would consider if they were also $2500. Don't want to spend 6 grand for paint on a 60 grand car.

2. Interior. One dealer said there are no Exclusive options at all for the U.S. S4. Another said there are some choices, but it only applies to wood trim. I really want different leather from the factory. Am I SOL?

3. Sport diff only vs. ADS. I never use the comfort setting in my Porsche, so that part of ADS doesn't matter to me. But is the "sport" aspect of ADS more aggressive than just having the sport diff?

If I can't do super-customizing, what do you think of these configurations? A) Suzuka Gray with black/red leather; B) Sepang Blue with silver/black leather; C) Imola Yellow with silver/black leather (irks me that yellow is now extra $$$).

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Don't do option B) Sepang Blue with silver/black leather because I think that is what I'm going to do.

All your color choices to me would be great. I don't know the answers to your questions for sure so I will keep quiet.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

really like the sepang blue metallic color. interior get whatever you want. ADS is pricey to me and you have to get prestige... most go with just the sports diff.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

IMO, paying up for the paint should be for a color that isn't or wasn't available in the model range. I love the Imola Yellow but go for something special.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 184 Posts

One should get at least the SD or ADS (steering ratio & suspension)

The ADS only adds the active suspension adjustment (comfort, auto, dynamic/sport)
..... AND... the ADS affects the steering ratio in dynamic, SD does not have this.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO the paint color is very important as you have to look at it every day. I loved Meteor Gray when I saw it on the lot and I still love it - over a year later!

Second, IMO sport diff is essential. ADS is just nice to have.

Third, the factory Alacantara is fine! I had leather in my last 3 cars, but don't miss it.

As far as interior options go, I have the carbon atlas inlays and they look pretty exclusive to me!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't like the standard colors, get a $2500 exclusive color, Paying any more would IMHO, be unreasonable and you will never get that extra money back. Don't buy the car without the sport dif which is included in the ADS which I think is overkill. But some are very happy with it. As far as the interior is concerned, I believe there are some options, but they will cost you as well. You could spend over $5 K for exclusive colors. But , if you have the money and the desire and don't care about resale, then by all mens get what you want.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So here's what I'm thinking of ordering:

Premium Plus
6-speed manual
Sport Differential
B&O Stereo
Advanced Key
19" Wheels
Carbon Atlas (unless I can go with Exclusive wood)
STaSIS Touring Exhaust
STaSIS Tuning
(I know STaSIS is more $$$, but they have a warranty and 3 nearby dealers are authorized shops)

Am I foolish for skipping navigation? I have it in my other cars, but don't use it very often.

Now I just need to settle on a color and find out the details of 2012 Audi Exclusive options.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pugman
So here's what I'm thinking of ordering:

Premium Plus
6-speed manual
Sport Differential
B&O Stereo
Advanced Key
19" Wheels
Carbon Atlas (unless I can go with Exclusive wood)
STaSIS Touring Exhaust
STaSIS Tuning
(I know STaSIS is more $$$, but they have a warranty and 3 nearby dealers are authorized shops)

Am I foolish for skipping navigation? I have it in my other cars, but don't use it very often.

Now I just need to settle on a color and find out the details of 2012 Audi Exclusive options.
I got the nav and I actually don't use the nav functions a whole lot, but it does have a few other benefits that really make it worth it:

1. Individual setting on ADS
2. Traffic info
3. Higher resolution screen
4. Color DIS
5. Better MMI control location (behind shifter vs on center stack)
6. VIM hack
7. Completely digital connection from source to amp using CDs, DVDs, or SD cards when you get B&O.

As for color, I'm partial to Sepang Blue obviously, but I also like Daytona Gray, and both with the titanium package preferably (or at least the Titanium grille).

I believe you can't do anything exclusive with the seats because of draconian US crash test laws, where each type of seat offered (even color variations) must be tested, thus making the cost too high.

Last edited by helix139; 05-26-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's a good set of options. The Nav is nice, I find the traffic particularly useful, but I'm a sucker for integrated systems. So, while a $200 Garmin or smartphone can give you just as much, I opted to pay out the nose for a built-in.

The color options are like you identified - Audi colors offered on other models are $2500. For $6000 you get access to the broader VAG color palet, which includes some crazy colors like purple, sky blue, orange, etc. There are certain colors reserved for Lambos you can't get from the factory no matter what.

Two things to note - if you order an exclusive color it may increase your order time, and I believe that $2500 (and presumably $6000) includes a one time special order fee, so any other customizations you should choose won't incur that fee again. That said, I don't recall anyone on here ever doing any custom orders aside from a $2500 colors.

I have the magma interior with carbon inlays and absolutely love it. I think it would look fantastic with Suzuka gray, so my vote would be option A.

Quick Reply: Advice for a Newbie