S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

All season tire recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All season tire recommendation

I am about to order my S4 next week. Prestige with S-tronic and sports differential. Since I live in NY and it does snow and don't want to bother with changing tires, I plan on puttin gon all-season tires right away and sell the summer tires that came with the car. I did search on tirerack and there were only 6 tires that are all season and fit on the 19 inch rims. I plan on taking the car for autocrossing and may be a track when I get the opportunity with least amount of hassel possible since it will be my only car. I don't need stupendous snow performance. So any of you guys want to recommend me a high performance all season tire? And anyone want to buy original stock summer tires?
Old 04-30-2010, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 254 Likes on 188 Posts

Checkout the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D. I will be using the Dunlap 3D 18" year round in California. A quick trip to the Sierra mountains is the only snow, my car will see.

For 19" the, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus may be a good bet.

tirerack.com

Last edited by m444; 04-30-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus...and don't look back.

They are absolutely fantastic tires. I've had them on 2 different cars and can't believe how similar they are to put summer tires from a grip perspective...yet their tread wear rating is 500, typically at least double summer tires and they can get you thru some moderate snow.

When I replace my summer tires I will certainly be getting the Pilot Sport A/S's.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Continental DWS tires get really good reviews, but because of that they're at times hard to find. They'd be my choice for the money over the Michelin's
Old 04-30-2010, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by m444
Checkout the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D. I will be using the Dunlap 3D 18" year round in California. A quick trip to the Sierra mountains is the only snow, my car will see.

For 19" the, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus may be a good bet.

tirerack.com
The Winter Sport 3D is NOT a good A/S tire...it is a dedicated winter tire. I owned them on my winter set in Germany...there are much better A/S tires out there for an occasional trip to the snow.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have run 4 ultra performance A/S tires on my S4's (B8 S4 and previous B5 S4). They were all on the top few on Tire rack list at the time I bought them. I have run Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S, Yokohama ADVAN S.4., and now Bridgestone Potenza RE 960 AS. They were all 255's except for the Michelins. These are all fine tires, can't go wrong with any of them IMO. I have also heard good things about Continental DWS. The new versions of the Michelin is the Pilot Sport A/S plus and the Pirelli the Pzero Nero All-Season.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ireSearch=true

I am an avid skier and have spent much time in the snow with the above tires.

Bruce

Yokohama ADVAN S.4.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:24 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sworksone
Continental DWS tires get really good reviews, but because of that they're at times hard to find. They'd be my choice for the money over the Michelin's
I agree. IMHO, the Michelins are more expensive but don't outperform the Contis. I have run Conti Extreme Contacts and Kuhmos Ecstas on my 04 S4. The Contis were better in snow. I'm putting Conti DWS on my wife's and daughter's Lexus IS250 AWDs. And will do the same when I wear out the stock Pirellis. Unfortunately, the size for the Lexus have been out of stock at tire rack for a few months. So if you can't find any, I would alternatively go with the Pirelli p zero Nero M+s
Old 05-01-2010, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I second the Contis. Got 'em last fall and I've been most impressed with their snow/rain handling.

Had the car out on one particularly nasty wintry night and had absolutely no problema while other motorists were swishing and sliding around like drunken amoebae.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm the same boat as the OP in the northwest, planning on pulling the stock rubber off as soon as I get the car - whats the best way to sell the take-off's? Anyone in the NW need a set in about 7 weeks?
Old 05-01-2010, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put the DWSs on my wife's 2007 A4 3.2. 3 flats. 2 on Manhattan potholes and one on a curb jump. Not sure who to blame but a few Tire Rack reviews noted sidewalls blow easily. That may explain their low price, light weight and comfortable ride. Very good tire for her local commute and winter weather.

Not sporty with a soft turn in. Very safe with great grip in winter and rain.

Not sure it is for an S5. Not sure it is for my 2009 A4 sports.

OEM 18" P7s summer. Goodyear winter tires-forgot the model but they are very good.

Quick Reply: All season tire recommendation