S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Another Interesting Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Interesting Review

Good review that I had yet to see. Hope its not a repost

http://www.clutchdump.com/?p=60

Last edited by nal13; 01-20-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

There were some disturbing errors.

Like saying the Sport Diff overdrives the inside wheels

But other than that, it was an interesting read. I'm not sure why they compared it to the M3, for the same reason that I didn't understand why people kept comparing the S5 to the M3.

Their claims that the S4's power is under-reported were interesting. Is there any truth to this? I know back when the 335 came out a lot of people were getting 4.9 0-60's when BMW was reporting 5.2, and similar with the M3.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Every entusiast level S4 owner here knows the B8 S4 is underrateed by Audi. No way a stock AWD car rated 333hp is turning out ~300 AWHP on dynos. ~10% drivetrain loss? No way.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

read this link too and the only thing that really stood out to me was that their claims of the bmw dct is better than the audi s-tronic. i've driven the s-tronic but never to redline. is it true that the s-tronic auto upshifts?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by vietle
read this link too and the only thing that really stood out to me was that their claims of the bmw dct is better than the audi s-tronic. i've driven the s-tronic but never to redline. is it true that the s-tronic auto upshifts?
It will short shift on 2011 cars when left in "M" otherwise it upshifts at the redline - no bouncing off the rev limiter.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i guess that could be potentially a drawback if you meant to hold it in gear and it upshifts for you at the wrong moment. i can only see that really as a problem in track applications though.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

This is nice review. It's the first one I've seen that incorporates the "collective knowledge" of the enthusiast community on things like power ratings and model year changes. The vast majority of auto journalists just spout info from the model booklet, so good on this one for getting more detail.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by vietle
i guess that could be potentially a drawback if you meant to hold it in gear and it upshifts for you at the wrong moment. i can only see that really as a problem in track applications though.
It shifts at redline, so if you hold it just under it won't shift for you. Those who tracked past versions of the S4 (B6/7) have the B8 and DSG and love it on the track, so it must not be that bad.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Interetsing article but I dont recognize the name. There could be some bias there. M3 is a helluva car

My dealer is a BMW/PORSCH/AUDI dealer. Porsches dont do sedans. They arent that attractive looking either. I have always liked the engineering of the BMW's but could never get myself to buy one because their interiors are butt ugly and I have to spend alot of time driving in them, although they are finally getting a little better (still, not as nice as AUDI or MERCs) . If we could drive on the hod of our cars then maybe it would be a diff story

BMW's took 10 years to finally distinguish their model exteriors There wasa time I couldnt tella 5 series form a 3. Nowadys, each modle is unique looking enough where you can atleast see the diff. personally I like the rear look of the 335i

Havibng sad that, I have spent so much time driving BMW 335 coupes, sedans, M3 Coupes, A4's, s4'S AND s5's. I dont reach decisions quickly. The S4 is way ahead of the 335i IMO in almost every category. But The M3 is a bit crisper than the S4. But for a =n M3 at close to $70K, naaaah. I will take the S4 in a hearbeta` especialy at the price I got my S4 for. Then there is still that BMW Interior thing. One day when BMW gets their interiors up to snuff, I might consider one. I saw the new M6 and that has a real nice 2 tone inetrior but for $80k? No thanks
Old 01-21-2011, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mark_nimda
My dealer is a BMW/PORSCH/AUDI dealer. Porsches dont do sedans.
I hate to be the one to break this to you but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_Panamera

"The Porsche Panamera (Type number 970) is a four-door, four-seat luxury sedan with a coupe profile and a rear hatch.

Quick Reply: Another Interesting Review