S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Anyone have clunking noise in their front suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Anyone have clunking noise in their front suspension?

About 1k miles ago (currently have about 20k on '11 S4), I started hearing clunks/knocks from the front suspension when braking and/or turning at a very low (5-10 mph) speed, such as turning into gas station. The noise is very noticeable and I'm a bit concerned about safety. Planning on taking it to the dealer, but interested to see if perhaps anyone else is experiencing the noise.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any mods? I was having similar sounds and it turned out to be my Alu Kreuz was not torqued correctly and was loose. Now it is rock solid again.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RavinJetta
Any mods? I was having similar sounds and it turned out to be my Alu Kreuz was not torqued correctly and was loose. Now it is rock solid again.
no mods, it's 100% stock
Old 06-29-2012, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by koobah
About 1k miles ago (currently have about 20k on '11 S4), I started hearing clunks/knocks from the front suspension when braking and/or turning at a very low (5-10 mph) speed, such as turning into gas station. The noise is very noticeable and I'm a bit concerned about safety. Planning on taking it to the dealer, but interested to see if perhaps anyone else is experiencing the noise.
Have the same issue with my A5. Tried to have it fixed for months and gave up. Only happens as you described and when the car is hot during the summer. If you can reproduce it on command drive with a service tech. Love to know what the actual issue is.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Koobah, have a look here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...7#post24312577

Could be the same issue on these '11 cars...
Old 06-29-2012, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the exact same problem on mine as well. On my past cars it always seemed to be a tie-rod end or something like that. My car only has 9300 miles. I am in Central Texas so the heat makes sense. Always notice it on low speed turns. Will definitely let you guys know once I get time to make it to the dealer.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Koobah, have a look here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...7#post24312577

Could be the same issue on these '11 cars...
A strut problem..yep that could be it for sure. Damn.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

****, that does not sound exciting at all.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My '11 has/had it too... this is something Audi should spend time on IMO.

Originally Posted by koobah
Mine did it stock and then after I installed H&Rs so I'm 100% sure it is not strut related(top mount portion anyway). I checked all the linkage bolts both compressed and uncompressed(lift), dealer checked it and it remains but only in warmer weather, maybe 60deg F and above. I think its something in the sway bar/links but wasn't willing to spend money chasing a ghost that Audi denies exists. I plan on continuing the chase with the new owner if he gets the urge... he's a home mechanic type too and noticed it right away. There is a design or manufacturing fault there somewhere.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine does it too.

Here are the conditions in which it is very prominent:

-Hot weather
-Car driven more than 15 min
-Low speeds
-Amplified when hitting bump under braking

Car is 2011 S4 with 13,500 miles.

It is a horrible sound, and I hope Audi can replicate it. Most likely they won't, because all of the above conditions have to exist for the sound to be really noticed.

I have read something on a different regarding sway bar end links not being tight. Not sure.

Quick Reply: Anyone have clunking noise in their front suspension?