S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Anyone modify their front seat bolsters?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone modify their front seat bolsters?

Hi all, new here.

I've owned my 2010 S4 since early this summer, and I love the car except the seats. I man-spread a bit when I drive and the bolsters on the seat bottoms are downright painful on my legs. I've tried putting pads in the seat to get up a little higher above the bolsters but that doesn't quite do the trick.

Has anyone done anything about this? Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to take the seat bottom apart? I figure if I can get the seat pad off, I can hack a little off the seat frame where it likes to dig into my thighs and make it a little more comfortable.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well I figured it out. Pulled out the seat, removed the control panel, and unhooked both sides of the upholstery. There's a piece of the seat frame that supports the inside of the bolster that juts up into my thigh. Cut most of that off, left the little piece in the front that supports the bottom corner of the seat cushion.

Seems to have done the trick. Seat is better, I'll have to put some miles on it to see how much better.

There's still the bar that supports the control panel. It's lower and further out than the bar for the bolster, but I can still feel it if I shift to that side of the seat. Not much I can do about that though.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow!! That's pretty rad... hope it works. It's too much for me.

I have been unhappy with the seats and driving position on my 2016 since the gitgo. My attempted cure has been a cheap cushion (it looks lovely on the beautiful leather...). I occasionally consider sheepskin covers but can't pull the trigger on them, as I doubt they will help the comfort issue enough and will cover more of the beautiful leather seats. So, for now, I've grudgingly adjusted (somewhat) to it so I just suffer in quiet and think about a new car.

I'm hoping someone sees this post and tells me they found a better cushion type solution.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've been driving it like this for a little while now, and it's definitely a big help. I had also tried a seat pad, but it didn't quite do the trick.

There is still a pressure point on the left side of the seat near the back. I think it's from the support for the control panel. It's not nearly as bad as it was, and I think it's mostly due to wear at this point. The car has 105k miles on it and the driver's seat cushion feels a touch softer than the passenger side. So I'm going to pull up the cushion again and add some more foam under the factory cushion to lift my *** up a bit and hopefully remove my weight from the remaining pressure point. Adding padding under the factory cushion will let me retain the looks of the seat and will keep the heating pad on the seat closer to my butt for those cold days!
Old 12-09-2017, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I did some searching on this topic and found some people complaining about the seats, but the only answers were "live with it" and "lose weight"

I'm surprised nobody else figured this out, it's fairly simple. I love this car but the seat was killing me, and there are obviously a lot of people out there with the same problem.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I went back in and added some foam to the center. Probably should have picked a warmer day, as I broke a few of the clips that hold the upholstery to the frame, but that's not really a big deal.

I used 2" foam, which was a bit much at first but now that it's been in use a couple weeks it's perfect. It is noticeable visually, the seat kind of bulged up a bit in the center, but most people wouldn't notice it. I added the foam under the factory seat cushion.

The seat is finally comfortable enough to warrant being part of this car. Huge improvement.