S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

AP Racing 380mm brake kit installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jran76
Looks good. Waiting for track feedback....
+1
Old 03-21-2012, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Looks good. Waiting for track feedback.... Did it also come with SS lines for the rear?
That is a good question. I will look at the master cylinder and see if I can tell. I just assumed SS lines come in groups of 4.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by clochner
+1
Should be able to write something up the weekend of April 14. Buttonwillow April 13 with BMW CCA.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by westwest888
That is a good question. I will look at the master cylinder and see if I can tell. I just assumed SS lines come in groups of 4.
Check the back wheel - there should be a SS braided line going into your caliper. You can peek from below the rear fascia behind the tire:

The line on the left (SS braided on my car - this pic) is the brake line. (pic is the driver's side - rear left wheel)

Typically, SS lines are sold in front/rear pairs. They are usually included with a BBK though for that particular axle only (replaces the rubber hose that connected the metal/steel brake line to the caliper).

Last edited by PsYkHoTiK; 03-21-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PsYkHoTiK
Typically, SS lines are sold in front/rear pairs. They are usually included with a BBK though for that particular axle only (replaces the rubber hose that connected the metal/steel brake line to the caliper).
What did your Stoptech kit come with? I was asking because the Stoptech kit I bought for my 350Z/G35 came with both front and rear lines with the front (only) kit.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

What did your Stoptech kit come with? I was asking because the Stoptech kit I bought for my 350Z/G35 came with both front and rear lines with the front (only) kit.
I think mine only came with the fronts. Not sure because I already had SS lines before I installed the BBK...
Old 05-06-2012, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The brakes were flawless with the Pagid Yellow pads on all four corners. The instructors were really impressed with it. I let one of them drive the car. It brakes like it's hitting a brick wall. No fade the entire weekend. I was in the advanced run group and was signed off for Sunday. The tires were the limiting factor. I will be getting a new set.

I did a 5 mile cool down drive on a country road after each session, to cool off the rotors and calipers.
Attached Images    
Old 05-20-2012, 10:17 PM
ayk
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the AP Racing kit. Any second thoughts or new revelations about the brakes? You said you got it from 034, but I don't see it available on their site at all. Any problems with front rear bias?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ayk
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the AP Racing kit. Any second thoughts or new revelations about the brakes? You said you got it from 034, but I don't see it available on their site at all. Any problems with front rear bias?
034 orders the kit from Stillen / Brake Pros, the US distributor in southern california. Any place you get it installed can order for you. Stillen builds the kits from the parts they have in stock. Just make sure you don't go with the "free" brake pads. Pay the extra $300 and get some real pads.

I have no regrets about the kit at all. I guess I just wish I could have had it as a $4000 factory option instead of having to do it this way. The car is really complete with it - it's a very fast, very heavy machine and it really needs brakes like this.

My Pagid Yellows have been whisper quiet on the street, even after two beatings at the track.

I've been feeling out the front/rear bias. Allegedly factory cars have rear bias. I'm sensing none of that because the fronts are such monsters. The only thing I noticed is one time I got the ABS to engage on track in a slick area of the track (dry but full of rubber and oil) and I noticed a brake pad burn on the rears. So maybe the rears are guilty. It could also be the hill hold assist that grabbed the rear on the paddock.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:55 PM
ayk
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the info!

Ever consider doing just the rear discs to slotted?

Quick Reply: AP Racing 380mm brake kit installed