S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

APR pulley released

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default APR pulley released

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Pulley-Upgrade
Old 06-20-2011, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will the warranty for the engine be void once this is installed?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by FatalBert
Will the warranty for the engine be void once this is installed?
Of course not. Just like every other part and post people put on this:

Installation of anything aftermarket will not void a warranty. You have to have damage to a part that you are trying to get Audi to repair, and they have to show proof that the part you added caused the damage that you are trying to get repaired in order to deny a warranty.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Of course not. Just like every other part and post people put on this:

Installation of anything aftermarket will not void a warranty. You have to have damage to a part that you are trying to get Audi to repair, and they have to show proof that the part you added caused the damage that you are trying to get repaired in order to deny a warranty.
As much as we would like to say this is true, Audi could easily associate the pulley to really anything and then deny warranty then it would be up to you to hire a lawyer etc. IMO once you mod a car be prepared to pay to play.
That said APR is usually good in mods that don't destroy our cars. The question is if a part fails prematurely due to defect would Audi blame the mod.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Audi will always find a way to get out warranty payments/fixes so just be careful. if they can justify it in any way they will.

Either way bad *** product with e APR chip. I want them both NOW!
Old 06-20-2011, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Warranties are overrated...

And those with Stasis tunes that want a "pulley upgrade" are probably/seemingly SoL too... (since they specified "their" ECU tune is required to get the "free" pulley flash)

APR is a "safe" "bet". Their stuff is rigorously tested and so far, they have done far more testing than anyone else for our car. (they're on race car #2 now).

Last edited by PsYkHoTiK; 06-20-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by riegerman
As much as we would like to say this is true, Audi could easily associate the pulley to really anything and then deny warranty then it would be up to you to hire a lawyer etc. IMO once you mod a car be prepared to pay to play.
That said APR is usually good in mods that don't destroy our cars. The question is if a part fails prematurely due to defect would Audi blame the mod.
I agree they would likely try to, but it will ultimately depend on the dealership and if they want to push the issue. AoA only knows what they tell them, and if they say something blew on the engine and it needs warranty replacement, unless there is some very hard data pointing to abnormal changes in the function of the engine, the dealership gets a new engine for you and gets paid for the work by Audi.

The question was does installation void the warranty and the answer is no, you can't have something instantly void the warranty like that.

I also agree that APR is very diligent about testing, they would not be or continue to be in business selling parts that risked their customers engines or safety. They have had this pulley on the COE's personal car as a test mule for about a year already, logging numbers and data. They also have an S4 race car, which sees stress and strain FAR in excess of what anyone will put their S4 through, so they have well mapped all the issues and weak spots with the B8 S4, they know what is within reason and what is not.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
I agree they would likely try to, but it will ultimately depend on the dealership and if they want to push the issue. AoA only knows what they tell them, and if they say something blew on the engine and it needs warranty replacement, unless there is some very hard data pointing to abnormal changes in the function of the engine, the dealership gets a new engine for you and gets paid for the work by Audi.

The question was does installation void the warranty and the answer is no, you can't have something instantly void the warranty like that.

I also agree that APR is very diligent about testing, they would not be or continue to be in business selling parts that risked their customers engines or safety. They have had this pulley on the COE's personal car as a test mule for about a year already, logging numbers and data. They also have an S4 race car, which sees stress and strain FAR in excess of what anyone will put their S4 through, so they have well mapped all the issues and weak spots with the B8 S4, they know what is within reason and what is not.
Good points.

I just can't get the hypothetical situation out of my head. I'm driving along and my engine fails. The dealership see's that I have the pulley installed (which increases the PSI putting more pressure on internals) and blame it on the pulley(even if it wasn't because of it).

I just can't see a way to wiggle out of that one and not have to pay for a new engine.

I think eventually I will get the pulley, but like all mods I will want them to be tried and proven for more than a year before deciding its safe.

I guess that just my paranoid perspective on modding such a young car.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by FatalBert
Good points.

I just can't get the hypothetical situation out of my head. I'm driving along and my engine fails. The dealership see's that I have the pulley installed (which increases the PSI putting more pressure on internals) and blame it on the pulley(even if it wasn't because of it).

I just can't see a way to wiggle out of that one and not have to pay for a new engine.

I think eventually I will get the pulley, but like all mods I will want them to be tried and proven for more than a year before deciding its safe.

I guess that just my paranoid perspective on modding such a young car.

Completely understandable. There are quite a few dealers in my area, so if the one I deal with chose to deny warranty coverage (which I doubt would happen), then I could always try one of the others around here.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by clochner
Completely understandable. There are quite a few dealers in my area, so if the one I deal with chose to deny warranty coverage (which I doubt would happen), then I could always try one of the others around here.
The dealer I go to here in the Seattle area is pretty mod friendly. I took my heavily modified B5 S4 in there for years.

Bruce

Quick Reply: APR pulley released