S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016
View Poll Results: Do you run your car through an automatic car wash?
Yes - light color paint (white, silver, grey)
21.17%
Yes - dark color paint (black, blue, red)
23.36%
No - light color paint (white, silver, grey)
27.01%
No - dark color paint (black, blue, red)
28.47%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Automatic Car Wash Poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chestlock
Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever....

But then again, I'm ****
Same here.

Originally Posted by JD15
During the winter, there is no way that I could wash my car; the potential damage of leaving salt on the finish for three to four months straight outweighs the risk of minor swirl marks, IMO.
That's why you put the quarters in the car wash, use the pressure wash wand, and get the salt/grime off before hand washing.

If I leased the car, probably a different story.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rktskicar
I always run my car through a car wash. have been doing this with my S4s for more than 10 years. Handwashing only is an urban myth.

Bruce
Check out the wife's car next time and tell me that
Old 10-22-2011, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redrocker55
Huh?? Confused. Now way you can wash your car in the winter but the risk of of potential damage of leaving salt on the car outweighs the risk of swirl marks? Not sure which you mean. Thanks.
+1, you cant wash it in the winter but leaving salt on it is worse than not washing it???

I think he meant there's now way he couldn't* wash the car in the winter...
Old 10-22-2011, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocker55
Huh?? Confused. Now way you can wash your car in the winter but the risk of of potential damage of leaving salt on the car outweighs the risk of swirl marks? Not sure which you mean. Thanks.
When I bring my car to the car wash, the car wash is the one doing the washing, not me. When the temperature is between 0 and 25F, I don't think manual washing is feasible; for people in warmer locations, this is probably not an issue.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely not. Hand wash only. Even touch-free car washes will generally use acidic detergents to compensate for being touch-free, and these will strip your wax and dull your clearcoat over time.

Mine never goes more than 2 weeks between washes and gets a fresh application of Zaino every 4-5 months at my detailer. I'm actually in the lobby of my detailer right now while my car is in for Zaino, interior and engine bay detail, and some minor buffer trail correction on my newly-repainted rear bumper. I'll have to bring it back again in about a month or 6 weeks to get Zaino and clear bra put back on the bumper after the paint finishes curing.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JD15
During the winter, there is no way that I could wash my car; the potential damage of leaving salt on the finish for three to four months straight outweighs the risk of minor swirl marks, IMO.
I find the opposite, although I sometimes use touchless car washes just to get a couple of layers of salt and sand off. I have left salt spray on my car for months and the shine always comes back in the spring but the micro scratches a regular car wash puts in the paint are really hard to get rid of.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by blackhawk878

But if you are trying to keep your paint from getting effed you should research how to properly wash the car to differentiate from what the car washes do (scratching/swirling with the dirt/debris you are trying to remove) If you haven't already that is.....

I'm a bit of a detailer, so I know all the tricks :-) My car had it's first birthday 3 days ago at 15,000 miles and there's zero swirling - people think it's brand new. Swirls are inevitable to some degree but it's all about minimizing the amount you accumulate over time.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 185 Posts

Only use a specific touchless, hand dry car wash, that I trust.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by mhs525
I find the opposite, although I sometimes use touchless car washes just to get a couple of layers of salt and sand off. I have left salt spray on my car for months and the shine always comes back in the spring but the micro scratches a regular car wash puts in the paint are really hard to get rid of.
One of my concerns is leaving salt on the undercarriage for several months, and the car wash can do a better job at washing the undercarriage than I can. I haven't had an issue with the car wash I use creating noticeable swirl marks, but I also avoid the colors that conspicuously show minor imperfections in the finish.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:00 PM
sor
AudiWorld Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a hard time believing that more than half of us take the time to hand wash regularly. Even if it's someone else doing it. Especially with all of the leasers.

It's just a car. Personally I've found that whatever's available is fine (I do 50% soft touch 50% touchless), and then a six month or yearly full detail keeps it looking great. You can just wax out whatever swirls/imperfections you see, buff/polish if need be, and it will always look like new again. I've actually been surprised what a good polish can do. Maybe if you plan on keeping it for 10 years or more I could see wanting to avoid buffing and polishing for as long as possible to keep the clearcoat thick.

Quick Reply: Automatic Car Wash Poll