S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Best looking, low maintenance color on S4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best looking, low maintenance color on S4?

I think Brilliant Black is the best looking color on the S4 because it contrast really well with the chrome but it's a PITA to keep clean. Meteor Gray?
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think there is much dispute that silver and gray are safe choices on ANY car because they look great and hide dirt. That said, they are also the least interesting colors because they are the most common.

Easy maintenance aside, I think Audis look absolutely beautiful in black and opted for Phantom Black Pearl after a string of silver and gray cars. We'll see how difficult it is to keep it clean, but so far it has been worth it every day when I walk out and see it parked in the garage. Easily the most beautiful car under $100K on the road.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tubi
I think Brilliant Black is the best looking color on the S4 because it contrast really well with the chrome but it's a PITA to keep clean. Meteor Gray?

This is only my opinion of course. But, you know I keep reading this stuff over and over and I have to just say that a clean car is great looking and a dirty car of ANY color isn't. I mean, come on. Some people talk about lighter colors like they don't show dirt. I've owned light color cars and they look just as crappy dirty, in my opinion.

You can, if you like I guess, get all nit picky and say "this color doesn't show this debris" or "this color is more forgiving" but really, I think it' much adieu about nothing, honestly. You get an S4 in the color you want because thats the color you want. If silver buys you one more day before the next wash, but you really WANT black, then I think that's a mistake in my view at least.

I originally ordered silver but then I brought my wife to the dealer inside the time I had to change the order and she looked at the silver and said "this color is NOT you, at all". She was so right. I only thought i wanted silver because I might get that extra day before washing or whatever (not to mention the road salt in New York). But, i'm not buying the car for those days, I'm picking the color for all the others. To each their own of course! Good luck!
Old 11-02-2009, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by trigoe
You can, if you like I guess, get all nit picky and say "this color doesn't show this debris" or "this color is more forgiving" but really, I think it' much adieu about nothing, honestly. You get an S4 in the color you want because thats the color you want. If silver buys you one more day before the next wash, but you really WANT black, then I think that's a mistake in my view at least.
+1

I agree. I'd rather get a car that's the exact color I want, but because I can go an extra few days without washing it. I'd rather have a car that needs to be washed in a color that I love than a clean car in a color I'm not all that crazy about.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

I love black, but I have to park on the street, and I just don't have the time to get it washed every week. Went with Ice Silver for partly that reason. I also like the color, and I haven't had a silver colored car yet.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That color you have there isn't what Meteor looks like - it is much darker, and with sun it had a variance in the color that makes it look greenish and blue sometimes.

I got Quartz because of the rain and road dirt here, I prefer it for the low(er) maintenance to keep it looking nice.

Here's Voltron's Meteor for an idea what that looks like:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2766743

Here are a few more:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4400053
Old 11-02-2009, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by trigoe
This is only my opinion of course. But, you know I keep reading this stuff over and over and I have to just say that a clean car is great looking and a dirty car of ANY color isn't. I mean, come on. Some people talk about lighter colors like they don't show dirt. I've owned light color cars and they look just as crappy dirty, in my opinion.

I originally ordered silver but then I brought my wife to the dealer inside the time I had to change the order and she looked at the silver and said "this color is NOT you, at all". She was so right. I only thought i wanted silver because I might get that extra day before washing or whatever (not to mention the road salt in New York). But, i'm not buying the car for those days, I'm picking the color for all the others. To each their own of course! Good luck!
I agree my Meteor Gray 911 looks way better clean. When I see it dirty I wish I had gone with Black. When clean it looks nice, but still not as slick as Basalt Black.

That being said I had to go with Phantom Black on the S4. Just think my comfort zone is with the darker colors. I tend to keep my cars clean and I don't overly examine them. I like to admirer my cars from a far rather than look for scratches or orange peel.

BTW- Nice combo I was gonna go Black/Brown, but wussed out. Just wasn't sure without seeing it. I wish Audi had offered more solid color seating options like in the S5. I would have gone Tuscan Brown...
Old 11-02-2009, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

My last Audi was quartz grey. I liked the color a lot. It almost always looked clean! My new one's brillant black. It's going to take a bit more work :-) but I like the look.
-s
Old 11-02-2009, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

In my opinion, the problem with Brilliant Black and similar dark colors is that they show swirls of extremely fine scratches no matter how careful you are with how you wash it and care for it. I absolutely loved my 99.5 BB A4 for how it looked, but the fine scratches were starting to accumulate and drive me nuts by the time it was 3 years old and got rear-ended by a teenager in a pickup truck. I replaced it with a 2001 silver A4 and I'll never go back.

Now I'm reading blogs like this just to decide on silver, quartz or meteor for the S4 or TTS I plan to get via ED next summer. Ask yourself - if black is so gorgeous, then why do most of the Audi ads and pamphlets show silver? Also everyone knows silver is the fastest color (at least on days when your A/C compressor needs to come on and rob power ;^)
Old 11-02-2009, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by denVerSlube
In my opinion, the problem with Brilliant Black and similar dark colors is that they show swirls of extremely fine scratches no matter how careful you are with how you wash it and care for it. I absolutely loved my 99.5 BB A4 for how it looked, but the fine scratches were starting to accumulate and drive me nuts by the time it was 3 years old and got rear-ended by a teenager in a pickup truck. I replaced it with a 2001 silver A4 and I'll never go back.
I'm a bit OCD when it comes to keeping my cars clean - so cast my vote for Ibis White. =)

Back in 04, I owned an Artic White STi -- LOVED IT!. But had to sell it when relocating for work. Two years ago, I was able to move back home and went looking for a new STi - could only find one in Black.

I knew the black would have swirl marks, but I told myself I could keep it clean. The car was always garaged, at home and at work. Every few weeks I'd dedicate a day to give it a wash and keep the detailing up to date -- but sadly the swirl marks won the battle.

Every time I'd walk towards my car in the parking lot, the swirls would jump out at me - no matter how clean the car was. It bothered me so much I had to sell it pretty much on that basis alone...

If you want your car to be a daily driver, and want it super clean looking with little effort, don't go black!

Quick Reply: Best looking, low maintenance color on S4?