S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Cheap VAG-COM for '14 S4 Rear Brake Change?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 07:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap VAG-COM for '14 S4 Rear Brake Change?

Hello All,

Well, the time has come for me to change my rear brakes. Now while I have seen the threads showing how I can do the rear brakes without the VAG-COM, it wouldn't be a bad investment considering there are a few other mods I wouldn't mind doing (like getting rid of that god-forsaken ding noise every time the door is open while the car is running or telling me that the car is in motion when I'm trying to put the address in the NAV, safety sheesh).

At any rate - I'm not looking for Ross Tools here and to blow a ton of money, just looking for what I need for this basic stuff. I read the DIY threads on here (including the sticky in this thread) and I wasn't having much luck.

Any thoughts?

Thank you! - Taxmaster
Old 10-14-2017, 08:18 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Taxmaster
Hello All,

Well, the time has come for me to change my rear brakes. Now while I have seen the threads showing how I can do the rear brakes without the VAG-COM, it wouldn't be a bad investment considering there are a few other mods I wouldn't mind doing (like getting rid of that god-forsaken ding noise every time the door is open while the car is running or telling me that the car is in motion when I'm trying to put the address in the NAV, safety sheesh).

At any rate - I'm not looking for Ross Tools here and to blow a ton of money, just looking for what I need for this basic stuff. I read the DIY threads on here (including the sticky in this thread) and I wasn't having much luck.
Any thoughts?
Thank you! - Taxmaster
You could by a Carista of Obleven device. Both will allow you to make changes similar to a Vag com. . Less cost. Not as comprehensive. I have neither . Maybe someone can elaborate about the pros and cons of each.Otherwise a google search might be in order.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Taxmaster
Hello All,

Any thoughts?

Thank you! - Taxmaster
I use OBDeleven and it has been super easy to use to change the rear brakes. It takes "credits" to open and close the e-brake. You get credits by opening the app daily and get extra credit looking at ads.
Doc
Old 10-18-2017, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have Carista and it has the functionality to release the emergency brake to change the rear pads. I haven't used it as I am still on the original pads, but I've read that a lot of members at the Audizine Forum have used it. I have made the following changes with it:

Turn off turn signal wink
Open/Close windows and sunroof with a long press
- change sunroof tilt to sunroof open

Turn on side marker lights with headlights
- off

Set DRL brightness with headlights on from 26% to 50%
Turned on oil temperature and lap timer

Set DRL brightness with headlights on from 50% to 80%

It's good for plenty of other stuff too. The model has changed since I got it. I think I bought the app for $19.99, but now it's subscription based, with an initial free trial period.

Carista ? OBD2 vehicle diagnostics, customizations, coding & tools
Old 11-04-2017, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

While I have not used my newly acquired OBDeleven for rotor/brake change (shortly will remedy this) I can vouch for the device, price and functionality. I have not used Carista so cannot comment on that. I have used the OBDeleven to this point for; adding gear selection in VC, removing some soft CELs triggered by my hamfisted Chipwerke Pro adjusting and general health check on the vehicle.

Instructions are sparse but YouTube can be your friend in this regard. For $70 from Deutschland Auto Parts I don’t think you can go wrong. I highly anticipate up coming additional wins with the device, including brakes, and already feel like I’ve gotten my money’s worth in function and peace of mind.