S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

to clear bra or not to clear bra?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak
I cannot understand people who put clear bra !

It is so ugly !!!

It reminds me of people who keep the plastic on their lamps or who put runners on their carpet.

Live a little, enjoy you car naked !
Some of us enjoy the pleasure of peeling off a huge and barely noticeable film after 4 or 5 years and having a nearly fresh from factory paint job, instead of chips and the sandblasted look. Plus it probably makes resale value a little (probably negligible) bit higher too.

I would agree with you if we were talking about leather/fabric bras.

Last edited by FatalBert; 06-06-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tunes
so any price points other than the 1250?
Depends on what you want. I paid about $1200 for full fenders, headlights, fogs, front bumper, and 24" hood strip in Avery Nano Fusion, which is completely optically clear, has no texture, and is as ridiculously scratch-proof. As soon as Xpel has their 60" clearcoated film out, my hood will be getting full coverage and I'll get a credit for the $100 I was charged for the 24" hood strip, so that will probably run another $200-300 installed.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is so ugly !!!

It reminds me of people who keep the plastic on their lamps or who put runners on their carpet.

I think you are referring only putting the clearbra halfway on the hood which I agree it looks bad. Might as well cover the whole hood.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It is so ugly !!!

I think you are referring to only installing the clearbra halfway on the hood which I agree it looks bad. Might as well cover the whole hood.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am not impressed at all by the clearcoat on the Audi....and all manufacturers may be the same now....so I would definately recommend a clear bra!

Last edited by rfogleman; 06-06-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is so ugly !!!

Can you see mine? Does it look so horrible?

I'll give you a hint, it's only 18" up the hood, and not a full wrap.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Do it!
Go full hood, full front bumper, full front fenders, mirror caps, behind rear wheels, trunk step, headlights, fog lights, pass door cup. Paid 1100 for that I think. They washed and clayed the car first.

edit: if you are concerned about lines. Otherwise save some cash and do sections (I've had it both ways on an ibis). Prefer full hood but maybe on other colors it's not so noticeable.

Last edited by dr bryan; 06-07-2011 at 05:28 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 258 Likes on 191 Posts

Do it, but maybe not at the dealer, just find a very good installer locally.

I had full custom front end, hood, front fenders, bumper covers. It cost me $1200 & is not noticeable, even on Ibis.

The new Audi paint is water based, so it is not very tough. The clear bra is cheap insurance.

I got 3M VentureShield, but there are good reviews on other options, like NanoFsion.

Go read the info on Tintdude PPF forum, where the installers hang out;

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php?showforum=321
Old 06-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The PPF and weathertechs are my 2 best purchases for the car . . . The BBS CX-R's are a distant third!! Seriously, the PPF is a no brainer provided it's installed by someone reputable. I think I paid about $1100 for full front, lights, mirrors, door cups, rockers, behind rear wheels and trunk lip. Driving last winter a large rock got thrown up by a truck and dented my hood. Touch less repair said if it was not for my PPF I would have needed body work. Other than a small spot on the PPF the dent is gone completely.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

thanks for all the replies....so now the big question is, is there a way to find out online about locations of reputable shops? I'm pretty new to DE so don't know all that much about these niche places in the local area.

Quick Reply: to clear bra or not to clear bra?