S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Cold Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
Its not that its not important, it just that they really don't care enough to do it,
I find this hard to believe since Audi has put a LOT of thought into many other minute details - all in the name of safety. (Windshield wipers give an extra wipe a few seconds after it stops from the initial wipes when you spray the washers, three "binks" when you touch the stalk to change lanes, in a 6MT the engine gives a little gas when you put it in gear to help refrain from stalls, etc... the list goes on and on) If the water temperature gauge wasn't good enough or didn't mean anything, i doubt they would have it listed in the manual to determine when the engine is "warm enough" and they'd probably have another gauge or light to tell you when it was based on another sensor... (just my thoughts)
Old 02-10-2013, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The main reason for the water (or oil) temperature gauge is to show when the engine is overheating. Some cars replace the gauge by an warning light, but the gauge give more information. If the coolant temperature is normal, oil can overheat only in unusual situations, such as on the track.

Most people do not go WOT much, and occasional WOT while not fully warm will not cause detectable damage before the warranty expires. On the other hand, most drivers have little use for an oil temperature gauge. So Audi does not put one in. (Some Audis had oil gauges in the 1980's.)

If you do not want to do the lap timer/oil temperature mod,just wait 10-15 minutes depending on the driving conditions, and you should be good.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I feel that those cars with forced induction should have at minimum a boost gauge, egt and oil temp but that does not mean that they will include them with the car. If you go WOT routinely and just use the water temp as a gauge you are doing some damage for sure. Just enable oil temp via vag com or give it another 10 minutes after water temp comes up to be sure. I will do a hard break in for sure and will get the lap timer/oil temp mod asap so I know when I can open her up safely.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by EF99
I'm not sure how you read this thread and say there's not consensus. Anyway, it's always been the case that you can find people on every side of every question, even things that aren't disputable. The internet just makes it more apparent because billions of people have internet access, and each one of them has an opinion (regardless of whether they should), and you can see them all.

The important thing is for the engine block mass and associated moving metal parts to reach equilibrium, and the oil temperature is the best representation available for that. Coolant will reach its stable/hot temperature (and your heater will blow hot air) roughly 10 minutes before the oil reaches temperature.

Also, the trend in *everything* is to dumb it down, and give the fewest indications that could be (mis)interpreted as a problem. "What they don't know won't hurt 'em" is the motto of the marketing and product definition folks.
Obviously there is consensus among the 2-3 participants of this thread, but that is hardly consensus among automotive engineers. The authors of the manual, presumably with input from Audi engineers, did not include mention of oil temp. Nor did the designers of the S4 itself include oil temp as a gauge, even though the car clearly includes a sensor that can be accessed via the vag com. So there is not consensus.

Again, I'm not arguing that oil temp isn't important. I'm just pointing out that the designers of the automobile in question did not include a gauge, nor mention of it in the overly verbose manual.

Nevertheless I'll continue to warm up my engine just as everyone else on this forum does!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by EF99
The important thing is for the engine block mass and associated moving metal parts to reach equilibrium, and the oil temperature is the best representation available for that. Coolant will reach its stable/hot temperature (and your heater will blow hot air) roughly 10 minutes before the oil reaches temperature.
This is the main reason why oil temperature is important. Also, the thermostat regulates the amount of coolant circulating in the system, and temperature gauge shows the temperature of the circulating coolant. After a cold start, a small amount of coolant is circulating, and that coolant heats up fast, while the remaining coolant and the oil are still relatively cold.