S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Considering a 2013 S4

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a 2013 S4

So, I'm a long time Audi fan who traded in my TT roadster back in 2005 for something a little more practical. At the time, our first child was on the way and the TT wasn't exactly capacious enough to lug around baby gear. I did a lot of shopping and looked closely at the S4 back then but I ended up buying a 2005 Volvo S60R. After 8 years and 51k miles I've never regretted that decision for even a second. I still love my R and its in excellent condition but being a car guy my eyes have been wandering a bit lately and I've been thinking about a possible replacement. The B8 S4 is at the top of my list of considerations.

I've drove a 335xi coupe a few years ago and even went to BMW to tryout a sedan last weekend. I like the freshened body style for 2013 but they didn't have a 335i xDrive on the lot and so we took out a 328 Sport. The trip was a huge let down. I was kind of hoping to feel a spark and a twinge of regret when I walked back to my car but the whole test drive was underwhelming. I know there's a big difference in power between the two cars but the interior was just so-so; nice, for sure, but nothing special. I didn't walk away thinking, "I can't wait for them to call when a 335 comes in that I can drive." Instead, I actually thought I might just hang onto my R for a while longer.

The only other car on the market that really gets me thinking is the S4. I guess it might help if I described what I'm looking for. I need a sedan, it has to have AWD, and I'm just not ready to give up a manual - so a 6 speed is a must. It also has to be fun to drive. My preference is for smaller cars although my wife would probably prefer something larger like an A6 or 5 series (which makes a stick much harder to find). I also tend to lean towards something that I don't see 100 of in the parking lot, too....which was one of the attractions of the R. There are countless 3s and even A4s on the road but the S4 (while not rare) is a little less common.

Anyway, if the Audi dealer had been closer to where we were running errands last weekend I would have eagerly stopped by that showroom first. So, I'm thinking about heading to the dealer for a test drive tomorrow if the weather holds out (they're calling for ice and snow) or maybe early next week. So, while I've done some research on the forum, I'm wonder if there is a consensus on common maladies, things to avoid, things to get (I've read a lot about the cars with the diff vs without it). Anything I should ask the dealer about or look out for in my test drive? Thanks for letting me ramble and for any thoughts or suggestions.

-Eric
Old 02-23-2013, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

My thoughts.

Hit the gas... and watch for cops!

You are likely going to end up driving a DSG car because 6MTs are hard to find on the lot (imo). FYI, the A6 is not available with a stick.

I say watch for sales guy bs about the features. The most confusion will come from "Audi Drive Select". If the car has the sport diff, you will be able to change throttle response, shifting (if a DSG), soundaktor sounds, and steering stiffness.

The only way you get suspension adjustments is with that option added as a line-item.

The only way you get variable-ratio steering is with that option added (I think it's bundled in with adaptive cruise).

Check the steering feel, including going into the MMI and changing it from comfort to dynamic.

/my ramble.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

There are occasional times when I miss my SR.........but not too many. Go for it.

Originally Posted by Sue EsponTTe
I also tend to lean towards something that I don't see 100 of in the parking lot, too....which was one of the attractions of the R. There are countless 3s and even A4s on the road but the S4 (while not rare) is a little less common.
That's easy........just skip black, gray, silver, and white.

Last edited by Goony; 02-23-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You may have to order a car with 6MT, most dealers do not have them in stock. As for options, I would recommend sports diff, it comes with the ability to change steering effort, engine response and sound. Other options like stereo upgrade and ADS depend on your taste.

You should find Audi to be faster and better-handling than the Volvo. The AWD system is also better, especially with the sports diff.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Tweakophyte
I say watch for sales guy bs about the features. The most confusion will come from "Audi Drive Select". If the car has the sport diff, you will be able to change throttle response, shifting (if a DSG), soundaktor sounds, and steering stiffness.

The only way you get suspension adjustments is with that option added as a line-item.

The only way you get variable-ratio steering is with that option added (I think it's bundled in with adaptive cruise).
So, are you saying the Driver Assist is worth it or a waste?

Originally Posted by Goony
There are occasional times when I miss my SR.........but not too many. Go for it.

That's easy........just skip black, gray, silver, and white.
Hey Goony! So, I'm curious what it is that you miss about the R? As for colors, I'm over gray. 3/4 of my garage is gray. It looks great on the S4 but I'd like something different. I wish Imola Yellow was still available (nice choice!) but I'd probably go with the Misano Red Pearl based on the colors currently available.

Originally Posted by 4wdFan
You may have to order a car with 6MT, most dealers do not have them in stock. As for options, I would recommend sports diff, it comes with the ability to change steering effort, engine response and sound. Other options like stereo upgrade and ADS depend on your taste.

You should find Audi to be faster and better-handling than the Volvo. The AWD system is also better, especially with the sports diff.
I've read a number of threads on the diff. It seems like there are a lot of people who believe it only really shows its value at non-legal speeds. Is it something you'd think I'd be able to feel on an average test drive...or maybe on a track/autocross day?

-Eric
Old 02-23-2013, 06:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'd like something different. I wish Imola Yellow was still available (nice choice!) but I'd probably go with the Misano Red Pearl based on the colors currently available.
+1 for the Misano Red, gorgeous color. I was on the fence, but wanted something different as well. I love the pearl effect and looks so good with the MY13 lines. You will love it! Imola Yellow is possible, you just have to pay a hefty fee (I think $2500) for a custom color and it will take a little longer as well to order, but very possible.

I also was looking hard at the S60 Rdesign, 2012. I felt the car was super comfortable, those seats really are nice. The straight line acceleration was awesome. But the S won me over. A lot of it had to do with the interior for me, just connected more with the Audi. But it sure is a nice car!

Sport Diff - you don't have to be at illegal speeds to notice it. It helps even with around town driving, which was my experience during several test drives. I got it on mine, but I did skip the damping. See if you can test drive one with and one without.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

drive select and sports differential is a must have imo. It's a fantastic car dsg or stick.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree that the sports diff is noticeable and fun even at the speed limit. For example, when making a right-hand turn at an intersection, I'll be going about 25 mph, and mid-corner when I punch the gas I'll notice the car feels like it sling-shots thru the corner.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Couple of thoughts. First of all, a test drive will not do justice to the car. It will give you an impression but that's about it. I had an E92 335i. Loved the car. But the B8 s4 is so much better and more car. When you do drive one, be sure you know whether it has a sport dif (included in the ADS or a stand alone option). It makes a difference as to how the car feels. Also, make sure you drive the car in Dynamic mode(if it has the sport Dif). The feel of the car is really different when going from Comfort to auto to sport settings on the SD. Another thing about Audi dealers is that some will deal and others will not. If and when you get to talking price, DO NOT pay more than $1000 over dealer invoice. If you can't get that deal OR BETTER, run away and find another dealer. BTW, the DSG trans is not an automatic transmission. It is a true manual transmission with electrically controlled clutch. It is faster than a 6MT. Can be left in D and driven without manual shifting if you want. But, you will not feel as connected to the car as you would with a 6 MT. Ordered cars generally take 9-12 weeks to arrive . If you do decide to order, make sure(this is important) that the dealer has an allocation. Otherwise, you might have to wait much longer . As far as color is concerned. I have a Brilliant red which is close to Misano. I like both colors. If I were to order onenow, I would get Volcano Red. Little more orange and metallic. It is a very rare color. You will almost never see anyone else with the same color S4. Good luck

Last edited by DrGP; 02-23-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've read a number of threads on the diff. It seems like there are a lot of people who believe it only really shows its value at non-legal speeds. Is it something you'd think I'd be able to feel on an average test drive...or maybe on a track/autocross day?
An easy way to feel sports diff on a test drive is to put it in dynamic and to give the car some gas on an on-ramp.

Quick Reply: Considering a 2013 S4