S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Dashboard Rattle - Solved!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2012 S4 when I opened the fuse cover there's no sunroof tool there...
Old 04-02-2012, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Van
I haven't able to pry open mine yet, the more important question is... does your car rattle?

Mine certainly rattles around that area, and also the rearview mirror. Was hoping this at least resolves the door rattle.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by KevinHee
I haven't able to pry open mine yet, the more important question is... does your car rattle?

Mine certainly rattles around that area, and also the rearview mirror. Was hoping this at least resolves the door rattle.
Yes around driver side panel. I will bring it to dealer tomorrow morning, but I'm pretty sure what they are going to tell me lol...
Old 04-02-2012, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Damn... bad news. Please keep us posted. Thanks!

Yes around driver side panel. I will bring it to dealer tomorrow morning, but I'm pretty sure what they are going to tell me lol...
Old 04-02-2012, 06:08 PM

Please note that you don't have to have the sunroof tool to have the rattle from the fuse panel cover! In my case, there were rattles caused by both the sunroof tool and also the panel cover. After I had wrapped the sunroof tool with the cloth tape and placed the foam over the fuse clips, the rattle was pretty much gone. However I then noticed that if I hit sharp bumps (e.g., expansion joints in the roadway, small potholes, etc.), I could still hear a rattle. I even removed the sunroof tool from the car for a week and still heard a rattle. I'm running 41 PSI F&R in my tires so it's pretty sensitive to "road feel"!

At any rate, home in the garage with the driver's door open, when I would give the bottom of the dash below the fuse panel area a sharp rap with the palm of my hand, I found I could duplicate the rattle. At that point, I applied the foam and cloth tape as illustrated in the pics above and the rattles have been eliminated. For good measure, I also placed a bit of the foam tape behind the plastic hood release pull, as it seemed to be making a little noise as well.

Lastly, for the prying off the fuse panel cover, one the screwdriver has moved the panel away from the dash a quarter inch or so, you can use your finger tips or another flat bladed screwdriver to apply pressure at other points on the panel and it should pop right off in your hand. If you're not comfortable doing this however (i.e., you fear cracking the plastic panel), then by all means have the dealer do it. You may want a demo of the panel's removal though as you may need to check or replace a fuse someday.

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Damn... bad news. Please keep us posted. Thanks!
Dropped it off yesterday, Tech guy told me need to replace center diff. Hopefully can pick it up this Friday.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Dropped it off yesterday, Tech guy told me need to replace center diff. Hopefully can pick it up this Friday.
The rattling comes from center diff?
Old 04-04-2012, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

After driving the car on a particularly terrible section of Interstate, the rattling has really started to annoy me a bit. Still love love the car... but at almost 60+k it certainly is a bit annoying.

I actually have 3 rattles
(1) Around driver side door, B&O tweeter that is probably due to the loose fuse cover / sunroof tool.

(2) The rearview mirror for crying out loud. It kind sounds like coming fromt he hinge.

(3) A "denser, heavier" rattle from somewhere in the second row of the car, I suspect it's the seat?

Will try to get dealor to take a look. Anyone has experience with (2) and (3)?
Old 04-05-2012, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The rattling comes from center diff?
No, rattling not from center diff but when we on the road test, he found out about center diff might have problem, so just got a call, replaced the door panel, replaced the center diff for now.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, so I went to my dealor that I have rattles coming from the rearview mirror area and left dashboard area, this is what they did.

-----

(1) Disasembled and removed rearview mirror assembly from car, found trim not sitting properly from factory, reinstalled properly.

Tested on highway, rattle fixed.

(2) Removed driver fuse panel cover, felted outside contact area, felted area that clips into a pillar, felted fuse remover tool.

Tested on rough highway, still rattles.

(3) Removed driver door panel trim, checked bolts for tightness of the window regulator, tested Ok.

Found screws of door speaker slightly loose, tightened; felted treble speaker, felted top window frame cover, lubricated top door seal, reinstalled door panel.

Tested on highway, door panel rattle fixed.

(4) Found rattle heard from MMI area, removed MMI surrounding trim, found plastic tab that rests on MMI screen rattles, felted between clip and surrounding that rests on MMI screen.

Tested on highway and rattle fixed.

-----

I think some German folks might have had one drink too many after Christmas...

Finally... let's give the guys in University Audi Seattle a big cheer (though they exhausted the remaining 4 gallons of gas in my tank lol).

Quick Reply: Dashboard Rattle - Solved!