S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

DIY: Fog lamp replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S4Tokyo
My Dealer has me scared beyond reason that if I dink around w/non Audi OEM Accessories or dress up Electrical items that I'll be on warpath with main ECU / warning settings and so Audi cannot support me if that happens and anything needs to be covered by Warranty. Basically mixed religion mixed marriages are out, stay pure and you'll be safe. I don't like overload of 'rules'!
SO, I understand the reason for 'yellow' Fog lights, but I'm not likley to need, the aesthetcis are what appeal to me in this case....trying to have similar color /brightness to headlights. You note about HID at 35W or less ...what happens if I can find a Xenon Kit, any guidleiness that will keep me from setting off warnings which you might have knowledge / heard of? Like you note for HID's, stay below 35W...w/Xenon is there same or additional guideline?
Not sure what to tell you here, as I didn't go with HID's for a few reasons, mainly that it's not an easy switch, and HID's explicitly defeat the use of fog lamps - something to cut fog and see easier. If HID's were good at this, no one would need fog lamps, your low beams would be perfect. I know that many HID's are 55W and higher, and these cause temps higher than the plastic housing are designed for, and this can either cause deformities or a fire.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read the following on other site re minor change 335 - "....a fog-light delete for engine/brake cooling purposes on the coupes, ...". http://www.carthrottle.com/coming-so...ing-bmw-335is/

Re A4 / S4, (I know that Xenon's are not optimum solution for Foglights) but struck me as curious that Audi have Xenon Foglight Accessory for A4 BUT when I asked for the same on S4 I was told that they 'can't be fitted,...sorry'. I doubted the 'will not fit' story and thought 'maybe' something to do w/current draw, loading on the S4's electrics, but have never received clear answer when I ask for 'detail' :-(
Reading the above comment, any people on thread knowledable enough to support logic that in fact yes foglights may get in way of cooling of the hotter S4 under certain driving conditions. Have seen someone elses pics of fitting new halogens and they did show one of the lights is close / in front of part of radiator ............ am I searching too hard for reasons here?;-) [Really want 'same / similar color fogs as the headlights, that's it plain and simple, don't have much need for fogs 'in fog' per say].
Old 02-12-2010, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

BMW deleted the fogs in order to extend the radiator farther to the sides in order to increase cooling. Our radiators for both the Intercoolers and engine stop at the edges of the center opening above and below the centerline. In back of the driver's side foglamp housing is the oil cooler for the transmission, so putting something slightly larger (if it even would be, I doubt) won't matter a lot here, the passenger's side is totally solid and doesn't conduct any air or cooling anyway.

I don't buy the cooling angle for our cars.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thx for quick & detailed response... kills that concern.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No prob Not sure why they don't do or "allow" it, it's certainly not a concern of strain on the electrical system, an additional 20 watts per fog lamp is nothing really. It may have more to do with (like Eurocode's) the wiring harness to allow the Xeon is totally different for the A4 setup, so it would need either some wire splicing or an adapter to retrofit it to the S4.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
No prob Not sure why they don't do or "allow" it, it's certainly not a concern of strain on the electrical system, an additional 20 watts per fog lamp is nothing really. It may have more to do with (like Eurocode's) the wiring harness to allow the Xeon is totally different for the A4 setup, so it would need either some wire splicing or an adapter to retrofit it to the S4.
The thing that continues to irritate me after several months is they have a A4/S4 catalogue with Accessory (Xenon white or yellow) Foglight kit which, when I said I wanted it, was told not for S4. I'll get to the root of it eventually.
Note someone else looking for details - I'm resident in Japan and so seems not on Audi US Accessories kit? ....mind you I can't pick it up on the Japaneee site so as to ref the link, only from the print catalogue which I have.
On to Audi Marketing to gripe that I want lofical / technical explanation :-( ;-)
Old 02-20-2010, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got to bottom of it, I think, re why no Xenon allowed on S4 (Japan model). Eventually Dealer explained something that at last makes some sense, though it could be that it's not the last word. Japan B8 S4's all have Proximity Sensors on front and rear bumber (w/reverse camera). Using Xenon Foglight kit, available to A4's without the Proximity Sensor option, the Xenon 'exciter' unit has to be placed close by, because of standard 'short' harness. The proximity of exciter it seems plays havoc w/Proximity Sensors ..noise feedback & whatever. Separately, the harnesses to exciter is required to handle 20KVolts - spike I presume - and 'supposedly'(??) it's not a simple question of splicing & adding a 'typical automotive wire guage' extension. Re latter comment, I have to believe it is technically possible just that Audi don't want to muck around w/std Accessory kit in case of damaging product liability? Would be interested to hear from anyone who 'does' have proximity sensors and yet changed to Xenon Fog's withiout problems associated w/Proximity Sensor performance arising?
Old 02-23-2010, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Updating with some recent night pics:

My driveway slopes up out of my garage so you can see the pattern and spread well.
Did this last night...maybe took 4-5 minutes...thanks for the play by play!

Now just waiting on the license plate LED kit and interior dLED kit...
Old 02-23-2010, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Stealthall
Did this last night...maybe took 4-5 minutes...thanks for the play by play!

Now just waiting on the license plate LED kit and interior dLED kit...
Awesome, glad it was so easy!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chris
Thank you! Here's a few more. I was going to "edit" out the license place, but I thought, who cares. Plus, it's hard to see the look of the LED plate lights if I "f" it up but editing it.

Plus, at night it's harder to see the dirt. haha

On an unrelated note, I haven't noticed very many other brilliant reds out there. Any one else have brilliant red, the fastest color? lol

On ANOTHER unrelated note. I took these with my new Canon T1i. I'm still working out how to use it. I'm NOT a photographer, I just like cool stuff and this camera is VERY cool.
how did you get your fog lights and led lights to stay on without having your headlights on? thanks

Quick Reply: DIY: Fog lamp replacement