S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Exhaust choice

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust choice

Im very sorry i know there has been many posts about different exhausts already.

My 2011 S4 comes in middle of august. counting down the days.

I would like to know peoples overall opinions on all the different exhausts out there.(APR, Stasis, Milltek, AWE, etc.)

The videos online are not exactly accurate so i would appreciate owners who have an exhaust system to tell everyone which exhaust they like or have and their opinions on them.

I would like to purchase my exhaust as soon as possible when my car arrives.

Thank you and sorry for posting hope everyone enjoys their cars
Old 06-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ive done a lot of reading on the topic and to be honest I think your choice will basiclly come down to the sound you prefer. After a lot of reading you will see that pretty much every exhaust out there produces an extra 8 to 10 horsepower and torque, give or take 1 or 2 hp, so the performance aspect of each is almost the same. Id say look up as many sound clips as you can from the usual websites and go from there.

I personally like the sound of the stasis tuned exhaust, it just seems to fit the car properly for me.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All about sound, the power gains are so minimal as to not be felt or seen in any real world use to be honest. Dr Volkl (Milltech exhaust 6MT) did a full on run against my DSG with stock exhaust and we were exactly neck and neck on back to back runs, there was no power difference apparent.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
All about sound, the power gains are so minimal as to not be felt or seen in any real world use to be honest. Dr Volkl (Milltech exhaust 6MT) did a full on run against my DSG with stock exhaust and we were exactly neck and neck on back to back runs, there was no power difference apparent.
I agree.... you buy it for sound BUT I think when ECU programming becomes available it will show gains over the stock system.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NickS
I agree.... you buy it for sound BUT I think when ECU programming becomes available it will show gains over the stock system.
Not the ones out right now. Until you get something with high flow cats, I'll recycle Keith from APR's comment:

It's like having a 2" hose to blow through rather than a soda straw, only that hose has a huge wad of cotton in it. You will get a little more air through it, but not a lot until you get the cotton (restricitve cat) out.

Head over to the A4 forum here and read the huge post on the turbo-back APR system they just released with high flow cats where you HAVE to run it with the stage 2 software due to the changes in airflow.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not the ones out right now. Until you get something with high flow cats, I'll recycle Keith from APR's comment:

It's like having a 2" hose to blow through rather than a soda straw, only that hose has a huge wad of cotton in it. You will get a little more air through it, but not a lot until you get the cotton (restricitve cat) out.

Head over to the A4 forum here and read the huge post on the turbo-back APR system they just released with high flow cats where you HAVE to run it with the stage 2 software due to the changes in airflow.
Interesting. Then I will save my money until such time as those are released as well.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting. Then I will save my money until such time as those are released as well.
http://www.034motorsport.com/engine-...gdd5testa6ubr6
Old 06-28-2010, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'd be tempted to just do that and leave the exhuast stock for now. Thanks!
Old 06-28-2010, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'd be tempted to just do that and leave the exhuast stock for now. Thanks!
034 did the high flow for APR's race car B8 S4. They had a clip of it with no exhaust and it sounds like...well...horrible. Of course that is the purpose, a non-restrictive flow. Not sure what it would sound like with stock exhaust, but you WILL throw CEL's and have some issues with the 02 sensors without an ECU tune to take the changes into account. That said you will see definite gains from a high flow even mated to the stock exhaust. More with a tune to go with it (I know these are not out yet)
Old 06-28-2010, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

034 did the high flow for APR's race car B8 S4. They had a clip of it with no exhaust and it sounds like...well...horrible. Of course that is the purpose, a non-restrictive flow. Not sure what it would sound like with stock exhaust, but you WILL throw CEL's and have some issues with the 02 sensors without an ECU tune to take the changes into account. That said you will see definite gains from a high flow even mated to the stock exhaust. More with a tune to go with it (I know these are not out yet)
*sigh* looks like I am back to waiting for a FULL system again then.

Quick Reply: Exhaust choice