S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Finally test drove a S4

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally test drove a S4

I realize I'm WAY late to the party, but our local dealer recently got an S4 in trade which was available for a test drive - most all others were sold off the truck - and my schedule finally worked out so I could take a test-drive.

The car was a "base" model S4 Premium Plus 6-speed without MMI, Sport Diff, or ADS - though it did have the B&O stereo - and was black on black.

IMHO, the B8 S4 is a great car!. I had a B5 A4 1.8T (heavily modded) for ten years before I bought the CS, so I am a long-time Audi fan. The new chassis combined with the 3.0 supercharged V-6 makes it a seriously capable 4-door sedan and I think the overall package represents a big leap in performance/ride/handling from even the previous model. I know many folks have commented they think the exhaust note is subdued but I kind of like the growl as is. Of course, a new exhaust is an easy fix!

The 3.0T V-6 is a sweet motor with plenty of go and torque, the brakes are quite strong, the ride/handling mix is excellent, and the overall look of the car inside and out is very sharp. It is an excellent package and I hope this car does well for Audi. They have addressed many shortcomings with this new chasis and the revisions in the power distibution with quattro. To my mind and limited driving ability the lack of push from the front-end was very noticable and quite welcome from the last model. I think Audi's efforts have created an very, very good car.

We're not is a spot to have the S4 as our second car, and my wife probably wouldn't go for it anyway, but if something were to happen to the Cayman (perish the thought!) the S4 would hold some serious sway in the effort to bring me back to Audi!

Last edited by Speedy; 01-29-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I haven't driven one yet because I have not been able to find a six speed manual near my home. The S6 is on my short list together with the Cadillac CTS-V. I drove both the new M5 and M3 and I felt that both of those had an overboosted steering and a sloppy shifter. The throws were so long that they reminded me of my little Toyota truck - especially the M5, the M3 was a bit better.

I have driven the Cayman S and I love the feel of both the steering and the shifter, very precise and connected - lots of fun. I also found the Caddy a blast to drive with both steering and shifter feel very nice. I own an NSX and the shifting action is similar to the Cayman and the S2000, I love all three. Now my question: How do you compare the driving experience of the S6 to your Cayman? I'm most interested in your thoughts on steering and shifter.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry, I meant the S4, of course. Don't know how to edit a response
Old 01-30-2010, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, I know this is going to sound like the answer everyone might expect, but in terms of feedback from the steering wheel, the brake pedal, shifter (I have the sport shifter), and seat bottom, there is nothing like the Cayman. This is not to say any of this was absent in the S4, but it is not to the same level. The amount and precision of the feeback in the CS is just amazing. I may well not be a good enough driver to take advantage of all of it, but I recognize it is there (especially directly after driving another vehicle) and I hope with more track time I'll be able to use more of it to my advantage.

That said, I found both the steering and shifter (and clutch) to be very accurate in the S4. As others have noted the steering could probably be just a touch heavier for my tastes. Again, I have not driven a S4 (or A4) with ADS, and I understand that can go a long way towards tightening up the steering. And, if I was not getting back into my car for comparison, I suspect I'd be entirely happy with it. I drove a number of cars that day, among them a BMW 135i, and I'd put the steering and shifter of the S4 up against that car easily.

I'd love to drive a CTS-V one day! That car has got to be a hoot to blast around in. I'd also love to check out an NSX, though they are becoming rare. I would rank the Cayman's shifter right up there with the S2000. And while I think the Cayman's steering provides more feedback than the S2000's, even it is not as go-cart like as that car!

I hope this answers your question!

Last edited by Speedy; 01-30-2010 at 04:26 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Invaluable information for those of us who are considering the S4 and are hoping for sports car handling with the comfort and luxury that the S4 has to offer. Great description! I'll make sure to go and drive one now, even if I have to drive a few extra miles to do it. The Caddy also suffers from a touch of light steering but it's not a deal breaker for me - the awesome engine makes up for all the other little things that are not perfect with that car.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

IF my car didn't have to be a daily driver, and IF my job didn't require absolutely gettting to work in Worcester, MA in the winter, and IF I didn't have to sometimes carry > 1 passenger, and maybe IF there weren't a couple of motorcycles in my garage, then I would definitely own a Cayman S. But since all those IFs are in my reality, I've got an S4 on order.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Twowheelsgood
IF my car didn't have to be a daily driver, and IF my job didn't require absolutely gettting to work in Worcester, MA in the winter, and IF I didn't have to sometimes carry > 1 passenger, and maybe IF there weren't a couple of motorcycles in my garage, then I would definitely own a Cayman S. But since all those IFs are in my reality, I've got an S4 on order.
I hear you! IF I had those IF's, I'd likely be in a S4 as well. As it is, I'm in NC where it rarely snows - though at this moment I'm looking outside at the mess 5" of the stuff makes around here (see pic)! - the CS IS my daily driver, there are just the two of us - and my wife has a 4-door - and I scared myself out of motorcycles years ago, so here I am.

Good luck with the S4. I'm sure you're gonna love it!

P.S. 1HOT S4: Have you seen the CTS-V Coupe? I think it's a very pretty car, and it should perform even a bit better than the sedan! I'm just playing devil's advocate, of course. Sorry... :-)
Attached Images  

Last edited by Speedy; 01-31-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 1HOT S4
I haven't driven one yet because I have not been able to find a six speed manual near my home. The S6 is on my short list together with the Cadillac CTS-V. I drove both the new M5 and M3 and I felt that both of those had an overboosted steering and a sloppy shifter. The throws were so long that they reminded me of my little Toyota truck - especially the M5, the M3 was a bit better.

I have driven the Cayman S and I love the feel of both the steering and the shifter, very precise and connected - lots of fun. I also found the Caddy a blast to drive with both steering and shifter feel very nice. I own an NSX and the shifting action is similar to the Cayman and the S2000, I love all three. Now my question: How do you compare the driving experience of the S6 to your Cayman? I'm most interested in your thoughts on steering and shifter.
I have driven the CTS-V as well insanely powerful. Almost felt as fast as my 08 -Z06. As for the M3 I drove the Dual Clutch tranny and was impressed with the power and handling. The S4 fills the bill as more of an all around car having the Quattro. If it came down to a S4 Prestige at 60k+ and I lived in a warm climate I would be looking at both the M3 Sedan and Caddy as well.
Obviously on a power to price basis Caddy is king!
Old 01-31-2010, 03:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Speedy
P.S. 1HOT S4: Have you seen the CTS-V Coupe? I think it's a very pretty car, and it should perform even a bit better than the sedan! I'm just playing devil's advocate, of course. Sorry... :-)
I'm not allowed to have two sports cars. The deal was to let her have a greenie car and then I could have ANY four door I want (even a gas guzzler like the V) as long as it has four doors and can fit four people comfortably. We got her a 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI (diesel) with a DSG transmission (similar to S4?) which is a lot of fun to drive and gets great gas mileage - we are averaging 38 mpg on combined 40/60 city/hwy driving.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1HOT S4
We got her a 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI (diesel) with a DSG transmission (similar to S4?) which is a lot of fun to drive and gets great gas mileage - we are averaging 38 mpg on combined 40/60 city/hwy driving.
To my thinking, the TDI's seem like a better answer than most of the hybrids out there, and they seem to get better real-world mileage too. Besides, all that torque can be fun! I think Audi needs to bring more of their TDI's over. I've read the A5 diesel is blast to drive.

Last edited by Speedy; 02-02-2010 at 07:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Finally test drove a S4