S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

First time diy brake pad and rotors change

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 01:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time diy brake pad and rotors change

Long story short, I order this brake kit for my 2014 s4 b8
http://m.autoanything.com/brakes/stoptech-slotted-street-brake-kit
The guy promised it included the wear sensor but it didn't....i am not going to recommend this website for anyone.

Now I need to shop for the sensor and I want to ask does the car only have 1 sensor at the front? Or 1 on each side of the front? Does it has any rear wear sensor? Does anyone know the model of the sensor? So I could do a fast search on Amazon?

Also, the pad that arrived has some metal bracket (you can see the picture from the above link), I watched few tutorial video on changing the pad and rotors but none of their pad look like mine. Did I order the wrong part?

If any of you have some great link/pictures on how to do the repair please let me know and I will read it too.

Any tires recommendation for 18inches all season stock replacement would be nice too

Thanks for helping. I am noob.

Last edited by vickytang1; 06-20-2017 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Added tires recommend request
Old 06-21-2017, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vickytang1
Long story short, I order this brake kit for my 2014 s4 b8
StopTech Slotted Street Brake Kit - Axle Pack - FREE SHIPPING!
The guy promised it included the wear sensor but it didn't....i am not going to recommend this website for anyone.

Now I need to shop for the sensor and I want to ask does the car only have 1 sensor at the front? Or 1 on each side of the front? Does it has any rear wear sensor? Does anyone know the model of the sensor? So I could do a fast search on Amazon?

Also, the pad that arrived has some metal bracket (you can see the picture from the above link), I watched few tutorial video on changing the pad and rotors but none of their pad look like mine. Did I order the wrong part?

If any of you have some great link/pictures on how to do the repair please let me know and I will read it too.

Any tires recommendation for 18inches all season stock replacement would be nice too

Thanks for helping. I am noob.
Brake job is well within the scope of most DIY'ers with some basic skills and tools. However, in order to change the rear brake pads and rotors, you will need to retract the electric parking brake, either electronically using an app like VAG-COM RossTech cable or smartphone app like Carista. It can be done mechanically but I have not tried it that way.

If your wear sensor has not gone off, you can just reuse it. There is only one on the car and that is on the front. Been a while since I did mine, but the pads in front may have metal spring type clips on one side to hold it in the caliper bore. ECS is a good resource for brake parts and sell wear sensors if you need a new one.

Here's a good how to for the fronts: B8 S4 DIY Front Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement
Old 09-04-2017, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scan tool

This is the cheapest only tool that will get it retracted besides that vag com. http://amzn.to/2x6eHdJ It’s a scanner made by autel. You click on the EPB setting pick euorpean, vw , special functions, then deactivate brake, it will rewind the brake piston, turn ignition off. Then you change the brakes as normal. When finished go back to the scanner, same thing and this time activate the brakes instead of deactivate on the scanner. The 12 volt method can cause damage to the ecm