S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Foam guns are fun mmmkay

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Foam guns are fun mmmkay

No real point to this thread other than I finally used the CAM Foam Gun I bought 3 years ago for the first time today and was really happy with the results. The only problem I had was the damn bottle that comes with it is so small that it would empty out after half the car was foamed up. Whatever, I'll buy a bigger bottle. Used about a 50/50 mix Menzerna Auto Shampoo and water then hooked it up to my pressure washer handle. Was amazed at how much grit and grime came off the car after just the foam soak and simple rinse. I still went over it with solution and a mitt but the dirt left on the car by this point was minimal.

Also, it's fun and if you get the mixture right you can have fun at parties with it.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice, I have this one and it holds a-plenty

http://www.detailersdomain.com/gilmo...eriiquart.aspx
Old 06-07-2010, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I've got this one since it hooks up to my pressure washer wand.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/camsp...foamcanon.aspx

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Nice, I have this one and it holds a-plenty

http://www.detailersdomain.com/gilmo...eriiquart.aspx
Old 06-07-2010, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zerinTT
No real point to this thread other than I finally used the CAM Foam Gun I bought 3 years ago for the first time today and was really happy with the results. The only problem I had was the damn bottle that comes with it is so small that it would empty out after half the car was foamed up. Whatever, I'll buy a bigger bottle. Used about a 50/50 mix Menzerna Auto Shampoo and water then hooked it up to my pressure washer handle. Was amazed at how much grit and grime came off the car after just the foam soak and simple rinse. I still went over it with solution and a mitt but the dirt left on the car by this point was minimal.]
It's easy mmmkay. Big fan of foam guns. Do you typically foam then rinse then wash? Or do you foam then wash then rinse? I always thought the latter was best, but I could see a benefit to the former.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I foam, rinse, foam again, wash, and rinse.

Originally Posted by Smith837
It's easy mmmkay. Big fan of foam guns. Do you typically foam then rinse then wash? Or do you foam then wash then rinse? I always thought the latter was best, but I could see a benefit to the former.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zerinTT
I foam, rinse, foam again, wash, and rinse.
Smart. Bet it can get a bit costly depending on the soap one uses, and the concentration, but smart. Think I'll try it. (BTW, I use Lusso Auto Bathe and don't dilute with water. Use the Gilmour Foamaster II on the "D" or "E" setting for thickest foam.)
Old 06-07-2010, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It can get costly...I put mine on setting B (got it from DD) with straight shampoo then have a bucket with shampoo as well as wash as usual. If it's warm out, the foam dissipates real quickly off the car, hence the bucket just to make sure everything is kosher.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love to do that but we have a no detergent law since the storm sewers go directly into river/reservior. No foam for me.

(or if I have to, do it a panel at a time and rinse a lot).
Old 06-07-2010, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Try Adam's Polishes car shampoo. It works great and its ph neutral so if the suds dry on your paint it won't leave spots or damage the clearcoat. I've washed on a Florida summer day, took my time and did a thorough job and soaped up my entire car before rinsing and had absolutely zero spots afterwards, despite the water completely evaporating leaving dried suds all over the car before rinsed it off. I was skeptical but this stuff works great and is a must if you live in a very hot sunny climate.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by helix139
Try Adam's Polishes car shampoo. It works great and its ph neutral so if the suds dry on your paint it won't leave spots or damage the clearcoat. I've washed on a Florida summer day, took my time and did a thorough job and soaped up my entire car before rinsing and had absolutely zero spots afterwards, despite the water completely evaporating leaving dried suds all over the car before rinsed it off. I was skeptical but this stuff works great and is a must if you live in a very hot sunny climate.
I'm a huge fan of Adam's products, but have come to use the Lusso for my soap (shampoo). It's non-phosphate, pH balanced, and is actually shampoo (minus the extras found in hair care products). It won't strip wax and smells great too (like tropical suntan lotion). You gan get it from Phil @ DD:

http://www.detailersdomain.com/lusso-autobathe.aspx

That said, Lusso is also 2x as expensive as Adam's (8 oz vs 16 oz), so for foam gun applications, especially full strength and twice per wash, I'll need to look into Adam's. In fairness, I haven't used Adam's Car Wash yet. Maybe I'll try Adam's for foaming and Lusso for hand washing. Anyone ever combine car wash products that way -- i.e., one product for the foam gun, another for the bucket?

Quick Reply: Foam guns are fun mmmkay