S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

FYI - another Eurocode Alu Kreuz drivetrain stabilizer group buy is open

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in on this, too.

I've got an aluminum racing jack, jack stands, and a jack pad (aka an overpriced hockey puck). But for work involving getting under a car I prefer ramps. Too much risk for me to stick my head under a car only supported on jack stands, especially in a seismic zone.

Soooo, anyone got a pair of ramps?
Old 07-24-2011, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandonb
I'm in on this, too.

I've got an aluminum racing jack, jack stands, and a jack pad (aka an overpriced hockey puck). But for work involving getting under a car I prefer ramps. Too much risk for me to stick my head under a car only supported on jack stands, especially in a seismic zone.

Soooo, anyone got a pair of ramps?
The Alu Kreuz cannot be installed by using ramps. The car must be on jack stands or on a lift. There cannot be any weight on the suspension components, subframe, etc.

I have jack stands at home...but after considering that the brace is basically under the mmi screen and my kit was one shipped with short bolts I decided to take it to my dealer.

They charged $70, 1/2 hour labor, and I got a loaner for the day. They also took pics. I thought that plan worked great for me.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm in...
Old 07-24-2011, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info, redrocker.

Unless someone's willing to get under the car that deep on stands, in which case I'm happy to bring the jack, maybe us Seattle folks can arrange a "group install" at a shop in the area.

Last edited by Brandonb; 07-24-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

It would be cool if we could do a group install (shop or otherwise). While I would be apprehensive of getting deep under a car on jack stands (especially with us "n00bs" LOL!) I could probably still do it (though I'd need multiple jack stands for redundancy haha!).

Isn't there a place on the southside somewhere that allows access/rent tools?

If not, I can ask around to see if anyone has space (shops with the vertical lifts) too.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I only use jackstands as an extra support for the jacks, never to totally support the car standalone. Also, it would be nice to find a shop to use, however, there are issues there with liability, theft (not that we would take anything but they don't know us) and insurance in the event of damage to the shop, our cars, bodily harm, etc.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:12 AM
ayk
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm down. Got jack stands and an SUV jack. I'm fine if we all decide to group install or go to a shop. I can't imagine it would be that hard though. I probably have all the tools necessary minus a torque wrench
Old 07-25-2011, 12:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by redrocker55
The Alu Kreuz cannot be installed by using ramps. The car must be on jack stands or on a lift. There cannot be any weight on the suspension components, subframe, etc.

Say it isn't so! Argh - the lift I have free access to lifts by the wheels....
Old 07-25-2011, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by chestlock
Say it isn't so! Argh - the lift I have free access to lifts by the wheels....
Sorry man...the boys at EuroCode mentioned this during their first group buy. I just tried to search for it, but that group buy thread from AZ has been deleted. The weight of the car has to be removed from the subframe otherwise you may not be able to remove the existing bolts and if you can then the alignment for the new stabilizer and the new bolts will be off. This weight may also effect the proper installation of the new bolts...torque level and proper stretching.

I change my own oil and I'm under the car all the time...but if I had to put it on jack stands and then crawl 2-3 feet behind the oil pan to install this thing I would be a little nervous. I decided to take it to my dealer. For $70 and getting to drive one of their loaners for the day worked good for me.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep Redrocker is right, there is no camber calibration for the S4 without adding adjustable upper control arms, so in order to correct very off camber, the car has to be lifted off the wheels, and the subframe bolts loosened and the subframe forcable shifted over with a huge prybar. This new part solidifies the subframe, so same rules.

Quick Reply: FYI - another Eurocode Alu Kreuz drivetrain stabilizer group buy is open