S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Help Me Decide on a Short Throw Shifter for by B8 A4

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Decide on a Short Throw Shifter for by B8 A4

Howdy all,

This is my first post Been lurking for awhile.

I'm a long time car enthusiast -- my fun car is a 84 911 -- this is my first audi, which I picked up as a dd for the winter months here in Boston, MA.

I just got a 2016 a4 6MT. It's a wonderful car but the shifter feel is a big let down...rubbery feel and long throws.

I need your help to settle on which short throw shifter to buy. Here are the options. I don't really care about cost, they're all close enough where it's not a factor for me, what I care about is (1) feel, (2) adjustability, and (3) longevity.

I also want the ability to reverse the installation and go back to stock in case service is required.

I have a full garage of tools and experience working on my 911, various VWs over the years, and other cars, so I'm not intimidated by any of these installs.

JHM: seems well reviewed and looks straightforward to install, but uses a stamped steel connector @ the shift rod and has no height adjustability. Also, seems expensive for what you get, compared to the ECM.

Eurocode: also seems well reviewed and very well engineered. What has me hesitating about this one is the requirement to lubricate the sealed bearing every year...what a pain.

ECM: this seems to combine the maintenance free service of the JHM with the adjustability and high level of engineering of the Eurocode. But is an unknown quantity -- I haven't seen many reviews of it, probably because it's new. I have seem some questionable stuff about ECM on the forums...fasteners shearing in half, threads getting stripped, etc...of course, you always hear about the bad stuff...but it's out there.

So...what should I do???

Old 12-07-2016, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use your chop saw to lower the jhm **** to your liking.