S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

How does the S4 manage the "Auto" setting for Drive Select?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the S4 manage the "Auto" setting for Drive Select?

Tried searching but didn't see anything.

My car had Sport Diff, but not ADS.

In "Comfort" mode, it's obvious that the throttle response seems more relaxed, and the steering effort is reduced, and the noise level of the engine is subdued.

In "Dynamic" mode, throttle response is more instantaneous, steering effort is heavier, and engine noise is a LOT more pronounced.

And of course, the two modes behave differently when it comes to the Sport Diff. However, it's less noticeable to me at this point since I have been driving it "cautiously" during break-in.

What I can't figure out is how the car manages the "Auto" setting. Does anyone know? Does it look at how fast you get on the throttle and adjust? Does is sense cornering loads and adjust the sport diff? Etc.

This is one of these things that doesn't really matter all that much in the general scheme of things. I'm just curious, that's all...

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-28-2013, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

I'm assuming the car makes it's own choices on the fly. Some of those choices may come later than you want them, hence dynamic mode. Also the reason why you get so much more engine noise in dynamic mode is because it plays the engine noise through the stereo.

Yes you read that right.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:29 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Auto is the default mode. Comfort gives less performance parameters such as for highway cruising and better fuel economy . Also less responsive steering and throttle response. Dynamic is just the opposite. More aggressive driving, Faster steering and throttle response lower fuel economy. Auto is in between for normal around the town driving. PLEASE don't drive your car cautiously during the break in period. That behavior is not conducive to COMPLETE piston ring seating. Those owners who have oil consumption problem almost always have used a gentle break in technique. Conversely, those that drive their cars aggressively from day one almost never have oil consumption issues or engine problems.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
PLEASE don't drive your car cautiously during the break in period. That behavior is not conducive to COMPLETE piston ring seating. Those owners who have oil consumption problem almost always have used a gentle break in technique. Conversely, those that drive their cars aggressively from day one almost never have oil consumption issues or engine problems.
I wouldn't say I am "babying" it. Somewhere between that and the whole "Motoman" method is where I fall. I am mostly staying under 4,000rpm for the first 500 - 600 miles, then I will slowly increase from there. I am using engine braking and varying rpm so I think it will be fine. I've done this with my last 5 cars and I've never burned oil.

For what it's worth, if it came down to listening to Audi engineers vs. a guy by the name of Motoman, no disrespect, but I'm going with the Audi nerds every time. It's not like it isn't in Audi's best interest to recommend a break in that won't lead to excessive oil consumption. Customers don't like excessive oil consumption and Audi wants satisfied owners.

Lastly, I won't believe it when anyone points to a connection between factory recommended break-in and oil consumption until someone provides real data on the matter, for which there is none that I've seen. All I've read is "I know a guy that broke in his car easy and..." That's not real evidence.

Anyway, just my opinion. Probably not a popular one here...

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-28-2013, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

I'm inclined to agree with you. I fully intend to follow the directions from Audi. The people who designed the car know way more about it than the rest of us and they've been doing it longer than the rest of us. It's not in Audi's best interest to give us bad advice on break in.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
I'm inclined to agree with you. I fully intend to follow the directions from Audi. The people who designed the car know way more about it than the rest of us and they've been doing it longer than the rest of us. It's not in Audi's best interest to give us bad advice on break in.
You can believe that if you want! I used to believe in fairy tales. All Audi really cares about is that you don't blow up your engine . It ALWAYS about the money. Their excessive oil consumption standard is set so high that they will almost never pay a claim. Blown engine from missing a shift and over revving a cold engine is $25k.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
You can believe that if you want! I used to believe in fairy tales. All Audi really cares about is that you don't blow up your engine . It ALWAYS about the money. Their excessive oil consumption standard is set so high that they will almost never pay a claim. Blown engine from missing a shift and over revving a cold engine is $25k.
pm sent
Old 03-01-2013, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MichaelB_1969
I wouldn't say I am "babying" it. Somewhere between that and the whole "Motoman" method is where I fall. I am mostly staying under 4,000rpm for the first 500 - 600 miles, then I will slowly increase from there. I am using engine braking and varying rpm so I think it will be fine. I've done this with my last 5 cars and I've never burned oil.

For what it's worth, if it came down to listening to Audi engineers vs. a guy by the name of Motoman, no disrespect, but I'm going with the Audi nerds every time. It's not like it isn't in Audi's best interest to recommend a break in that won't lead to excessive oil consumption. Customers don't like excessive oil consumption and Audi wants satisfied owners.

Lastly, I won't believe it when anyone points to a connection between factory recommended break-in and oil consumption until someone provides real data on the matter, for which there is none that I've seen. All I've read is "I know a guy that broke in his car easy and..." That's not real evidence.

Anyway, just my opinion. Probably not a popular one here...

Thanks,
Mike
I agree with you 100%
Old 03-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Same here. I broke mine in pretty easy with mostly highway driving and just an occasional run above 4K RPM, just a hair more aggresive than the factory recommended "babying", and I have zero oil consumption issues. If some guys want to drive it like they stole it from day one that's their choice, but until I see some data to back it up it's just urban legend to me.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all the Auto setting doesn't vary based on your driving input. It doesn't change the throttle response/sports diff/shift speed/suspension when you are pushing you car. It is simply a default setting for "medium".

Second of all I agreed with all of you about the Audi recommendations. I thought that there is no way the Audi recommendations are wrong, but after reading hundreds and hundreds of pages of people with oil consumption issues I changed my mind. I don't care if you don't believe it, but out of every person that has oil burning issues they all followed the Audi procedure. I've never heard of anyone having issues that did it aggressively. Sometimes you get lucky and won't have oil burning issues, but lots of people aren't lucky.

I would rather seat the piston rings properly. Once your oil temperature is up to operating temps redlining the engine doesn't hurt it at all. "If" my engine blows up who gives a **** they will fix it. If I burn oil for the entire life of the vehicle I'm S.O.L since they won't fix it. Either way it's your car and up to you. It's too late to change your mind now anyway since you only have a small window of time to do it properly.

Quick Reply: How does the S4 manage the "Auto" setting for Drive Select?