S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

How would you know if your amp is blown?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How would you know if your amp is blown?

Sorry for the NOOB question.. but how would you know if your applifier is blown? Would all the speakers not work anymore? Or would the sound just not be as loud/crisp/etc?
Old 08-17-2010, 07:23 AM
DOC
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know the symptoms of a blown car amp. Did you have your windows tinted? There's a thread on Audizine warning of the dangers of water from the tinting process on rear windows running down C-pillar (I think) and frying the amp on the B&O system.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinS
Sorry for the NOOB question.. but how would you know if your applifier is blown? Would all the speakers not work anymore? Or would the sound just not be as loud/crisp/etc?
Either no sound at all, or lots of crackle, pops, and loud static during any use. You would know if it's blown, not the kind of thing you aren't sure of.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

If getting your windows tinted would cause it to blow, why wouldn't getting a car wash?
Old 08-17-2010, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by krunko
If getting your windows tinted would cause it to blow, why wouldn't getting a car wash?
Window tint is applied on the inside of the car. Most car-washes I know of don't get the inside of the car wet.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WatchNut
Window tint is applied on the inside of the car. Most car-washes I know of don't get the inside of the car wet.
I dunno man, I have seen people go through with their roofs open before!
Old 08-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If this is a B8 S4, then it should be under warranty and you can take it to the dealer. If your Amp is blown, any speaker connected to it would not work because the output would be fried. The diagnosis to me sounds like an MMI problem or you just play the speakers way to loud and are causing them to blow. But without seeing the vehicle in person, it is almost next to impossible to diagnose the issue.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the feedback and advice... I think my amps fine after reading some comments, but wanted to know what to keep an eye out for in case I run into problems.

I've been researching tint shops in the Northern Va, DC area for two weeks and finally settled on a place. (I'm floored at how shady some of these places can be.) The place I went with charged me $600 bucks for Huper Optik 40% (which what I wanted) and claimed to tint lambos, Masaratis, you name it almost on a daily basis. They also claimed to have done a few B8s and be familiar with the amp.

Well, I'm not totally happy with the results. Not that I'm an **** person, but I have a couple of rather large "dust particles" on the drivers side window (that I can see when I look into the sideview mirror) The rear passenger tint looks like it was "crinkled" before it was applied.

Plus there's bubbles on the back window which I'm gonna post pics of on a separate thread.

Regarding all the water... why can't tint shops just put down some 1 mil plastic, tape it up with some "painters tape" to protect everything. But I digress.

Dustin
Old 08-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My shop Dy Audio is in baltimore, And we use johnsons film it is the best on the market. Many shops claim to use the best tint. We are also half the price optik, lumnar they are all good tint. But poorly installed it will have bubbles and dust pockets that will not go away. For $600 bucks you need to go back and have them retint your baby. My shop # is 443-242-7154 mon- fri 10-6 sat 10-4 sun closed feel free to call and ask any questions
Old 08-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dyaudiob8s4, can you please take a look at the thread I just posted and let me know your thoughts on what appears to be bubbles?

I tried to very (very) carefully whip one of the small ones away just to see if it was a water spot, but it's not dirt or water.

Quick Reply: How would you know if your amp is blown?