S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

It's official: Comfort mode = worst mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 05:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see people don't agree with you, but there was an article in one of my many car magazines (C&D, R&T, MT or something) about how to get the best MPG in city driving. It said that short shifting with moderate throttle (getting to speed quickly) and then cruising netted better mileage than lazy, longer-duration acceleration to speed. This made sense to me. You lose MPG during acceleration but then your are cruising sooner. This could explain your results.

Either way, these cars get pretty horrendous mileage. I can't imagine getting 18 MPG in city driving. Unless my city was like a Dali painting... constant downhill.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdgamble
I see people don't agree with you, but there was an article in one of my many car magazines (C&D, R&T, MT or something) about how to get the best MPG in city driving. It said that short shifting with moderate throttle (getting to speed quickly) and then cruising netted better mileage than lazy, longer-duration acceleration to speed. This made sense to me. You lose MPG during acceleration but then your are cruising sooner. This could explain your results.

Either way, these cars get pretty horrendous mileage. I can't imagine getting 18 MPG in city driving. Unless my city was like a Dali painting... constant downhill.
Yeah, when you want to accelerate it is best to get your engine between peak torque and peak power and just get up to speed and cruise. That is where your engine is combusting most efficiently.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jdgamble

Not sure who you're referring to, but if you're referring to me, there was really nothing to agree or disagree with. My mileage is what I posted. Your mileage may vary, as the saying goes.

The headline of this thread was mostly in jest, since, as I said, I don't think it's possible to get the worst mileage in comfort mode, if all things are equal. Still, I did get my worst mileage ever with this last tank, and it was in comfort mode, so there is a superficial truth to the thread title.

I'd agree it's hard to imagine getting 18 mpg in 99% city driving and in dynamic mode. That person is a true ballerina among drivers. Either that or they live in the city with the best-timed stop lights in the country. Most people with all city driving seem to average in the 14-16 mpg area, which is about where I am.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

1,500 miles, '13 S4 with S-Tronic. 26 MPG all highway, before I had 500 miles on the odo. Since then, about 18 MPG all city in an Individual mix of driving modes. I don't baby it, either.

In mixed driving, say 50-50 highway/city, I get 22 MPG. Again, I blast down entrance/exit ramps.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:15 AM
Banned

B6/7 S4 = 16-17 mpg average
B7 RS4 = 17 mpg average
B8 S4 = 19 mpg average

It seems like it's pretty hard to get a performance car to make 21-22 mpg (average over the long term).

Still, the B8 is a good chunk better than the B6/7. Nothing to base a decision on, but still 11-15% improvement which is probably $2000 over the life of the car.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by EF99
PS I think I deserve a medal for the restraint exercised in driving a whole tank in comfort mode But I'm glad to have some data to show there's no good reason to ever put it in comfort mode.
x2
IMO comfort mode is a bit loose in the steering. I love the positive feel & responsiveness in dynamic.
Hence why its changeable.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

I couldn't care less about my mileage or MPG )
Old 07-13-2012, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just put down a deposit today. Never checked the mpg stats the whole time I have researched it.

Sounds like about 20 mpg overall. Not bad for a car that rivals track vehicles from ten years ago.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

For what it's worth...I recently went to look at a truck for my son. I filled up at the same Shell station, my default setting is Dynamic mode so that trip I averaged 24.5 MPG (180miles round trip). Next trip to purchase the truck I filled up and set it to Comfort mode to see if there would be any difference in mileage. On that trip I averaged 25.8 MPG.All calculated on paper. As I figured a little better in Comfort mode.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by EF99
Since I get crummy mileage due to all city driving...
What's the octane rating on the gas you use, and how much corn squeezins (ethanol) is in it? Just curious.

Also, I never hear anybody note that they're running the AC during these discussions. I feel pretty sure that throws off efficiency significantly. You noted it was 105F, so I figure I could guess that answer.

But Waffles lives in the south, so I doubt there's any difference there.

Quick Reply: It's official: Comfort mode = worst mileage